Holy Cow

I do think that it’s weird the when I put it into shut down mode, it makes the sounds like it shutting off but keeps feeding pellets into the burn pot. Any thoughts on that? That seems to me there some wires crossed, or software issue. Only thing is the glow plug wasn’t working, At the end.
I emptied the hopper and watched the shutdown on my last cook and it fed pellets for a while then near the end the auger reversed. So what you describe seems normal (from what I have seen).

As for the glow plug, what's your burn pot look look like? Is it clogged up?
How clean is the tip of the glow plug?
Is the glow plug seated correctly and have a good connection (a hose clamp can help)?
All these things can cause issues.

Well...wish me luck

Last edited:
It sounds like the flare ups that some of us have seen. At this point, I do not think that there is a consensus on the cause. But I am guessing software. I will posting in another thread tomorrow.

That is like talking pig Latin to me. Lol. I don’t have one, and wouldn’t have a clue where to put it or what to look for.
Sorry, I am just the curious type that like to know how things work, or don’t work as is the case.

I do think that it’s weird the when I put it into shut down mode, it makes the sounds like it shutting off but keeps feeding pellets into the burn pot. Any thoughts on that? That seems to me there some wires crossed, or software issue. Only thing is the glow plug wasn’t working, At the end.
One of the recent software/ firmware changes Weber downloaded a while ago was to go into shut-down mode by actually feeding pellets for a bit to and wait for those to burn-off prior to reversing the auger. (prior to that, the sequence began with the auger reversing). In theory, what they did should have assured a burn-off of all of the pellets and clean-out of ash in the fire-box. The flaw in their logic, of course, is that if you either have a run-away fire, or a flameout, all it does in add more pellets to the firebox.

So started the SF up to do ribs. It was fine. Opened lid once up to temp, placed ribs in. 10 minutes got a temp drop. Said check owners manual, or check pellet level. Did not give error. Didn’t hear pellets dropping, so opened hopper, stirred pellets, I heared them start dropping again. Still dropped temp. Put into shut down mode. It then started pouring out white smoke like me crazy, opened lid, and it went like white smoke bezerk! So I waited till it stopped smoking and realized the pellets where blazing almost to the grill rack. Mind you it’s in shut down mode. Took out racks and all innards and the glow plug area was blazing fire, and the pellets where still dumping in, all while in shut down mode. Waiting for cool down to vacuum, see what the hack happened. I did just switch pellets and the last of the pit boss, first of Weber, was starting. Took meat off before white smoke ruined them.
Exactly the same behaviour as I had in my last cook after the last software update. (link) I hope it is a one timer.

My setup is 1 year old and is fully original. No new augers and glow plugs etc etc...... Never had any issues.

The conundrum is...my 3 pork belly’s are ready in a day or two for smoking...I may just have to do them on my kettles.

Anyone have an idea of what the TONS of white smoke was from....never saw that before. I keep the bottom of cook barrel very clean. Vacuum out ash after every 3-4 cooks. No grease in bottom of cooking drum.
393A35CE-984D-444A-AC40-70E3FAEB9305.jpeg
A05B170B-1104-4272-B30D-9D3599CBFFFE.jpeg
DE9B7214-C875-476D-8BDF-38D1113DCAF4.jpeg
B6360A1D-47A9-4CE4-ABC5-4A346417342F.jpeg

I think it is a smolder under a pile of pellets that does not have a good air flow. Keeps pumping out white smoke until the air flow gets things burning well.

Not yet, going to wait til parts get here. Found a guy that will change stuff out for like 90.00.

I did notice that the issue with the chute/auger still pushing pellets out, is the tip of the auger pellets where starting to burn. The flames shooting up from the burn pot was lighting them. Thought about going out today and fiddling with it to see if I could get it to go...have 3 pork belly’s I need to smoke on it.

Well...wish me luck

I had a similar issue doing some chicken with smoke boost. I had a "flame is out" alert and it shutdown. I restarted it hoping it just needed more pellets (like a feeding issue) and then the temp didn't get over 80 degrees. Shortly after enormous columns of smoke were filling the whole backyard it looked like my house was on fire. What the issue ended up being was from the beginning the flame pot was clogged and needed to be cleaned. I clean the cook box every time but I hadn't cleaned the firebox partially out of laziness and also just because I didn't think it was necessary based on the daily maintenance instructions not listing it. Anyway, moving forward when cleaning I am going to check the firebox quickly. Once that was cleaned out she ran beautifully like before.

I always vacuum it out. I did take it apart this time, it wasn’t clogged and had minimal ash...just started her up again and set it to 250, temp is setting at 50...been a few minutes...like 5 and it’s at 55. Just took it apart and checked it...glow plug still cold as my mother in laws heart!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back