E7 Error Code

Wilkie

Reaction score
Grill
Summit Charcoal, 26” Kettle, Genesis Gas & EX 4 SmokeFire
I purchased a EX-4 Gen 2 at Christmas. Since that time I have cooked on it 2 - 3 times a week, grilling and smoking. I have had no issues whatsoever since purchasing it. Last week I experienced an E7 error code. According to the manual they state that you are to pull the rear cover & check the motor connections and then restart the grill & if the code reoccurs contact customer support. The error reoccured so I reached out to customer service. They promptly sent a message that a new motor / auger assembly had been shipped to me but provided no explanation as to why. When it arrived I removed the existing auger assembly & compared it to the new assembly. The only difference that I could see was that the original auger was attached with a cotter pin and the new assembly used a screw. Everything else appeared to be the same. There was no blockage in the auger except a small section that was about the size of dime that was compacted at the end of the auger where the cotter pin was other than that it was clean.
My question is was the cotter pin style a Gen 1 auger Assy?
Has anyone else had this issue? If so did the new auger correct the issue?

Thanks

The cotter pin is a Gen1 as well as a Gen2 thing.
I don't see one being any better than the other. They both break or rip up the auger in the same way.

E7 is motor failure. I had that happen last September, but they only replaced my motor. So far hasn’t happened again. I think they changed to screw to help prevent pellets and pellet dust from getting trapped in there and causing binding. I pull my auger out every couple months now to clean it out to be safe.

My SF is working fine since the installation of the new motor auger assembly but I'm seeing ground up pellets dropping from the underneath the auger and piling up. This can't be good, I fear a compacting of pellets is imminent. Has anyone else seen this with their SF? If so were you able to determine the cause and alleviate it? Another issue I experienced with the grill since the replacement is that it stopped twice mid cook this weekend on two separate cooks . No shut down procedure occurred the screen just went blank and came back up stating something to the effect that the grill had stopped unintentionally and needed to be restarted. When I restarted it on both occasions it took off right where it had been and kept right on going. Again has anyone experienced this?

Attachments

• tempImageiD5Zqr.png
    tempImageiD5Zqr.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 71
  • tempImage3Mn6qh.png
    tempImage3Mn6qh.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 69
The mounting plate can go on in both directions. I would bet that yours is mounted wrong. There should be no pellets like you are seeing.

The mounting plate can go on in both directions. I would bet that yours is mounted wrong. There should be no pellets like you are seeing.
Agreed if pellets are falling out back somethings not installed correctly.

Well my motor died (3/29/20 purchase date), waiting on weber to actually respond to my warranty request :(

Well I got the E7 code last night. I shut the grill down and today checked the power connection as suggested in the manual. Still got the E7 code. I called customer service and they are shipping me a new motor. I appreciate getting a new motor, but this grill is getting disappointing with all the "fixes" I have needed in the first year!

Back