Searwood Beginnings

SteveSeaton

Reaction score
Grill
Searwood 600
I am a life long griller and smoker, but the Searwood is my first pellet rig. As I move into the later years, I wanted primarily a smoker that would be less effort than working with an offset cooker. I had a standup electric smoker, but was not satisfied with the smoke level and constant reloading of chips. The Searwood looks to be the perfect match for quality and ease of use. I hope it works out that way.

I am three cooks into the Searwood and generally satisfied. I am seeing some issues with temperature consistency after several hours where the ambient temp is somewhat less than the displayed setpoint leading to the cooks taking longer than expected. I will keep watching that.

I am keeping my trusty PK Grill for my charcoal grilling but will try out the grilling capabilities of the Searwood for use when I don't want to mess with the charcoal setup.

I am a life long griller and smoker, but the Searwood is my first pellet rig. As I move into the later years, I wanted primarily a smoker that would be less effort than working with an offset cooker. I had a standup electric smoker, but was not satisfied with the smoke level and constant reloading of chips. The Searwood looks to be the perfect match for quality and ease of use. I hope it works out that way.

I am three cooks into the Searwood and generally satisfied. I am seeing some issues with temperature consistency after several hours where the ambient temp is somewhat less than the displayed setpoint leading to the cooks taking longer than expected. I will keep watching that.

I am keeping my trusty PK Grill for my charcoal grilling but will try out the grilling capabilities of the Searwood for use when I don't want to mess with the charcoal setup.
It's important that you reposition your "cook" frequently around the surface.
In regard to your PK, KEEP IT. The Searwood is no replacement for hot and quicks like burgers and steaks. It's not an "end all". Searing on Searwood is possible...just expect it medium to well done.

It's important that you reposition your "cook" frequently around the surface.
In regard to your PK, KEEP IT. The Searwood is no replacement for hot and quicks like burgers and steaks. It's not an "end all". Searing on Searwood is possible...just expect it medium to well done.
Not true, I sear mine perfectly medium rare

I have a SmokeFire EX6 Gen2, and also get good sear marks but only in its hot spot area, which is about the size of four good size strip steaks. Have found if I use Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets the SmokeFire sears even better. Even though the highest temperature setting is 600 degrees, if I use wood pellets at 600 I can open the lid handle with my hand, but if I’m using charcoal pellets at 600 I have to use my oven glove to use the lid handle. My thoughts are the charcoal pellets burn a lot hotter, and longer than wood pellets (less consumption).

My question for the Searwood owners is about Manual Mode. I have to keep my lid closed in order to get great sear marks, if the lid is open for a little bit the temp drops quickly and takes a bit to get back to 600. So I am like a ninja flipping the steaks…

I would think you would still need to keep the lid closed on the Searwood but Manual Mode recovers quicker. What’s the difference from setting the Searwood to 600 vs Manual Mode? Does Manual Mode 10 get hotter than 600 degrees?

I love my SmokeFire EX6, but hear the heat is more even on the Searwood for grilling.

Everything I've seen and read is that manual is for open (cover) grilling only. But as mentioned, bring it to 600 closed (faster) then set to manual and open.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back