Searwood pellet usage

kawakx125

Reaction score
Grill
Searwood
Does anyone know how the 600 and XL compare in pellet usage? I don't NEED the XL, but if the pellet consumption is similar then I might just get the bigger one. It will be used mainly as a grill, as I already have a Yoder YS640 for my smoking needs. It will be replacing a rectec bullseye

I don't know how the usage is between the two, as I have the XL. But, after using mine as a grill a few times and blowing through a few bags of pellets in just a few cooks, I decided to use mine only as a smoker since I have my Weber kettle and Genesis gas grill. IMO, for those that want an all-in-one cooker, it's great. But, like anything else when you have an all-in-one solution, there are things you compromise on. Like cost/cook. But for those of us that have multiple cookers, I wouldn't use it as a grill, pellets are way more expensive than gas. And at grilling temps, you get little, if any wood flavor.

I don’t remember the exact amount, but it shows it on the label. The 600 is somewhere around 4.5 lbs per hour at 10 manual mode, the XL is around 6 lbs per hour

I enjoy the versatility and flavor the pellets provide when grilling. I like to smoke my steaks and then sear them. Charcoal is great, but its expensive too. I can get WAY more cooking out of a bag of pellets than a bag of charcoal. Never liked gas at all. I don't need the size of the XL, as I already have a YS640 for smoking duties, the only reason i really considered it is because I could have gotten it immediately vs waiting a month for the smaller one. Smaller one has been ordered!

I have been using a recteq bullseye for the past couple of years, but it has not held up well. It has probably been my favorite grill for grilling, and i expect the Weber will be even better from everything i've read about it. It seems far better built than the recteq, and i'll enjoy having the 2nd shelf

I went from a Weber Genesis gas grill (10 years), sold it and got a SmokeFire EX6 Gen2. I loved the Weber Genesis, used it 5 out of 7 days a week all year long. But wanted to try smoking food and was limited on space. I agree with wood pellet consumption when grilling. However after over three years of using the SmokeFire EX6 (similar size to Searwood 600 XL), I have a different approach to pellets when smoking vs grilling.

If I’m smoking food I use Smokin Pecan Shell Pellets, by far the best. Go look on YouTube, people swear by them, and I lucked out and tried them right when they first sold. They burn longer than wood pellets and produce way more smoke.

When I grill I use Royal Oak Charcoal pellets. Get them at Walmart. They burn even longer, they burn hotter, and are moisture resistant. Perfect to leave in the hopper. And since I grill more than smoke, even better. I do mix some pecan shell pellets in with them but not much.

As everyone knows about wood pellets the hotter you cook with them the less they smoke. This is simple science of surface area size and time to burn through. But the charcoal pellets seems to produce smoke at higher temperatures rather than lower temperatures. Only difference is clean up. The inside gets black from the charcoal, but not much ash.

Latest Discussions

Back