Who's getting the Weber Searwood?

Funny enough I’m really starting to want the Camp Chef myself. Be interesting to see how the SearWood is reviewed.

It was a good excuse to leave work a little early. :)

IMG_0896.jpeg

And they had one on display. The build quality seems quite good. That’s what the reviews say but there’s nothing like seeing one in person. I was able to do that with the SmokeFire but I’ve had enough experience with Weber products to know it wouldn’t be a tin can.

I didn’t buy one - but I’m leaning that way more now.

It does but Weber is going to have to send me a van full of components so it will work for the next 5 years
That sucks, I must have one of the good ones...

I have had mine since December 2020 and it has over 700 trouble free cooks on it (60/40 500f+/225-250F) still on all original parts with no concerning signs of wear, including the glow plug.

I have had mine since December 2020 and it has over 700 trouble free cooks on it (60/40 500f+/225-250F) still on all original parts with no concerning signs of wear, including the glow plug.
I’m on original glow plug but the internals are shit!

I had to come out of pocket for some parts to keep her going.

IMG_6597.jpeg
IMG_6596.jpeg
IMG_6594.jpeg
IMG_6593.jpeg

You can see a hole in the large flavorizer bar.

I live in a very mild climate in Northern California, humidity is always good.

Now when I first got it, remember this was advertised as a grill too, I did run quite a bit of high heat cooks. I personally think this is where Weber made their mistake, treat it like a low and slow smoker and use trays to catch drippings the SF is a beast! Probably puts out the best smoke of the bunch.

Mine is three and a half years old and the inside is falling apart too. Gone through multiple glow plugs and I've had to change to different fuses as they were blowing constantly. I had an issue with the control board last summer and it took Weber eight weeks to get me a replacement. For the money I have been disappointed to say the least.

With the redesign they did with the SearWood and the fact they are discontinuing the SmokeFire it appears they admitted failure with the original design.

9 out of 10 of my cooks are higher temps, every time I get through one without thermostat lockups I consider it a success

I'm considering getting a Searwood. I've enjoyed smoking on the SF but anytime I try grilling or cooking above 400 it catches fire. I'm not one to pile on or trash Weber as I have 3 other Webers and love the brand but I think it didn't live up to the claims, at least on my unit. I have a Gen2 EX4 and have always scraped and vacuumed it before using it. Still, works great for low and slow but I want to do more searing and even pizzas would be nice. Hoping the redesign has good reviews after they have been out for a while.

My insides look like Bruno’s unit but Weber sent me new rails and the center cover as well as the main flame cover. The second ones are pretty roached now. I’m not easy on it though. That said it’s flat out an awesome grill/smoker. I’m getting a Searwood sometime this year. Can’t help myself.

Mine is three and a half years old and the inside is falling apart too. Gone through multiple glow plugs and I've had to change to different fuses as they were blowing constantly. I had an issue with the control board last summer and it took Weber eight weeks to get me a replacement. For the money I have been disappointed to say the least.

With the redesign they did with the SearWood and the fact they are discontinuing the SmokeFire it appears they admitted failure with the original design.
Weber actually changes many of their models too frequently. Just look at the last 5-10 years of gassers. Obviously, the kettles and WSM are pretty much iconic, but the rest is constant flux. They will continue support probably forever.

Camp Chef is also a company of great people. They are first rate to deal will in general. I have fairly extensive experience with their products. If you get the WW Pro, you must get the sidekick in order to get the full experience and versatility. It will not grill like the Weber in the chamber, but with the sidekick you can do great reverse sear cooks if that’s a desire. You will get great low and slow, but I’ll be honest, I think the Weber pellet cookers are almost perfect at low and slow cooks based on my desire outcomes and my pallete.

Moral of the story is pick the one that excites you most and run with it. You can’t really go too far wrong no matter what. It’s a great time to be an outdoor cooking enthusiast. The options are getting better all the time. Enjoy 🥃

Is anyone else here starting to think that there are likely significant problems with the new Searwoods with Weber’s refusal to bring them to market? They’ve been talking about them since September of last year, over 6 months ago. That’s not normal to say the least.

I’ll never learn my lesson, I’ve been burned multiple times by being an early adopter and while there are usually issues they’re generally manageable. But this is starting to feel like it may be a colossal marketing, design and production failure, perhaps with the highly promoted direct flame functionality which I would assume has to be the most difficult aspect of these new grills for Weber to pull off.

I hope I’m wrong, right now I’m still planning on ordering one, but I just can’t wait much longer for this vaporware.

Is anyone else here starting to think that there are likely significant problems with the new Searwoods with Weber’s refusal to bring them to market? They’ve been talking about them since September of last year, over 6 months ago. That’s not normal to say the least.

I’ll never learn my lesson, I’ve been burned multiple times by being an early adopter and while there are usually issues they’re generally manageable. But this is starting to feel like it may be a colossal marketing, design and production failure, perhaps with the highly promoted direct flame functionality which I would assume has to be the most difficult aspect of these new grills for Weber to pull off.

I hope I’m wrong, right now I’m still planning on ordering one, but I just can’t wait much longer for this vaporware.
Nope...

Hello All, first post here! exuse my english, it ain't my first language.
Until now I had a Genesis 1000 (from 1992, still alive and well-ish) and a Kettle 18, now it's kinda small with the family growing.
I've ordered a Searwood last weekend, I hope to get it soon.

Don't know how ''good'' this is but the website from the dealer said shipping for it was starting April 2nd, if that's good intel mine is due the 4th!

EDIT: just saw they push the date back a week, and the XL is now due for May... we'll see if I get it next week!

Last edited:
I keep checking ACE Hardware. They are normally really good about getting grills in before some of the big box stores.

1000005480.jpg
ace hardware in Bethesda about hour from me had one in stock..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back