Well...$&@:#%^

Dassman5 is correct. There are two fuses. The first is the one by the plug. It is the 1.6A 250V ceramic fuse. It is not glass so it will always be white. The only way to check it is by using the multi meter and doing a continuity test. The second fuse is on the display board. Which is harder to get to. Check the fuse by the plug first. I have heard that you need to use a high gauge extension cord if you use one and you have to turn the grill off by using the switch first and then unplugging it.. Do not just unplugging it from the outlet.

Do not just unplugging it from the outlet.
Some of the first really bad reviews of the SF that I saw were done by individuals that "wanted" the unit to do something else other than what it is programmed to do. They were jerking plugs, waiting 30 seconds, plugging back in, SF doing something else, unplug again, and they just kept losing. I bet that their controller was smoked (pun intended). :)

Some of the first really bad reviews of the SF that I saw were done by individuals that "wanted" the unit to do something else other than what it is programmed to do. They were jerking plugs, waiting 30 seconds, plugging back in, SF doing something else, unplug again, and they just kept losing. I bet that their controller was smoked (pun intended). :)
Agreed. Smokers always have been largely steady-state “set ‘em and forget ‘em” devices, whether commercial or home use. In that regard the SmokeFire is a terrific, however there is some work that needs to be done to handle the variable temperature demands, especially in the 300 to 450 range, as the PID logic does not seem to be able to handle widely varying demands to smoothly and reasonably adjust to the operator’s needs.

If you have the owners manual, look on page 31 for the correct specification. According to that they claim the correct fuse is a fast blow ceramic 1.6 amp fuse rated at 250 volts. I simple terms, Here is why.

According to Ohm’s Law watts/volts= amps.

(1) The Smoke Fire, according to Weber is rated @100 watts, although the average watt draw on the SmokeFire is around 85 watts.

(2) The unit operates on normal house voltage of 120volts, (not 240 or 250), but nominal is closer to 110 to 115 volts. So let’s say 115 volts.

(3) Therefore: 85/115= .74 amps, or 100/115=.87 amps.

(4) However, house voltage can vary to as low as 110 volts, or lower at the SF plug when you use an extension cord, plus on start-up there is always a minor, instantaneous current in-rush or surge. Hence, Weber decided to use a 1.6 Amp fuse, which could handle such circumstances and made it a fast blow to protect from power surges. This gives you up to around 192 watts @115 volts (assuming you are actually getting that voltage at the SF unit) before the fuse blows.

(5) As for the 250 volt rating of the fuse, that means it can handle the normal variations in power supplied by your utility (I monitor mine continuously, and it varies between 111 and 118 volts) across a typical day depending what other loads are being exerted on the pole mounted utilities transformer that also services my neighbors). The key is that it will blow quickly at wattage that exceeds 192.

(6) The model number of this fuse is a 5x20MM. The five is not an amp rating, because a 5 amp fuse at 115 volts would not blow until it sees a 575 watt draw from the SF, which would “fry” the unit since it is rated at only 100 watts. 5*115=575 watts.

Bottom line: only replace your fuse with a 1.6 amp, 250 volt fast blow ceramic fuse, or F1.6A250V

5x20mm is the physical size not a model number

Also, when confused about a fuse rating, it is always stamped on the metal collar of the fuse, it might be hard to read so get out a magnifying glass if you need to.

5x20mm is the physical size not a model number

Also, when confused about a fuse rating, it is always stamped on the metal collar of the fuse, it might be hard to read so get out a magnifying glass if you need to.
Actually 5x20mm is both the physical size and the reference size (often referred to as the model) of the fuse to indicate what type of holder it is designed to fit. For example:

778DED4B-98FF-4B6A-89BD-EA67F3EB394C.jpeg

Finally got the proper fuse in. And it is the 1.6 amp 250 volt, 5mmx20mm. Fast acting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back