Well...$&@:#%^

I don’t know what to say.
The email I just sent weber
My issue was, I was looking for the correct replacement fuse. Page 31 of the manual is slightly unclear as to which fuse to use. It states it utilizes a 5amp 120 volt fuse. Then it says the replacement part is 1.6 amp 250 volt. I’ve spoke to 4 reps that assured me it was the 5amp 120 volt fuse. And stated if the wrong fuse was used it would NOT void the warranty. It clearly states on page 31 it would be void if wrong parts are used. So I even had a rep tell me she had worked for Weber fir 25 years and knew what she was talking about. That same rep, who assured me of the 5amp 120 volt fuse, could not tell me whether it was a fast acting fuse or slow acting. In my opinion someone needs to train thier people better. I called 4 times and received the wrong answer each time. I also requested a call each time. So the fact that someone decided to follow up in an email is very lame. You should have provided your contact info so I can contact you directly at my convenience. Not the other way around. You stated give you a time and date, and you would “try” to call. With all of that. I love Weber products. And have used Weber grills exclusively fir years. I expected better service from Weber

What they sent me
Sean M (Weber Grills)
Oct 24, 2020, 9:04 CDT
Hi Terry,

My name is Sean and I'm a supervisor here at Weber. I understand from Erika that you wanted the situation surrounding your SmokeFIre EX6 escalated. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble, but I'll gladly assist you with this. Given the time I saw your request I felt it was more appropriate to email rather than call. If you'd prefer to handle this by phone please let me know a date, time, and number to reach you and I'll try my best to accommodate.

I understand you are getting no power to the grill and you were looking for info on the replacement fuse. I wanted to go over a few things:

1.) Fuse replacement - 250V 1.6a fuse 20mm x 5mm fast blow.
2.) Confirm the power cord is securely plugged in under the hopper.
3.) If using an extension cord please try without.
4.) Please try using the grill on another outlet, or have the existing outlet tested to be sure it meets the grill's electric requirements:

• 110 -127VAC
  • 50/60Hz
  • 204W Max
  • 2402.0 - 2480.0MHz
5.) If you remove the controller slightly from the hopper, make sure the wire connection is secured in the back.

EIRhY2YLgEww7knUg7QYvli1f

6.) With the power button on and the controller removed, look down on the motherboard. Do you see any green lights?

h6QFb1Gr5x9gAPeGzEMEqiX3K

Please reply when convenient and we'll get your grill working in no time.

Thanks,

Sean M
Weber Consumer Care Team
Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Another thing is with the controller removed that the new fuse in. I checked before reattaching the controller. I did not see any lights anywhere. Granted it was sunny out but it was in shade by then. No lights.

Dang hopefully can get a correct answer. I purchased some fuses but now not sure they are right ones (1.6 250V Cartridge CeramicFast Blow (Fast Acting). Thanks for staying on top of them to get this figured out!

Edit - posted before your update from Sean Weber

His email does say it’s the 1.6 amp 250 volt 5mm x 20mm fuse.

His reply
Sean M (Weber Grills)
Oct 24, 2020, 9:41 CDT
Hi Terry,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am the supervisor of the tech team that helps with SmokeFire. I can assure you the information I provided is correct. I agree some of our reps could use more SmokeFire training, and your feedback is appreciated. I will be putting that into consideration and I'll pass your comments to the appropriate people.

When I saw your request I wanted to reach out right away to make initial contact. That was just after 9:00 AM my time. I'm not sure you're schedule, so the last thing I wanted to do was disturb you. And I would have provided you my number but I am assisting other customers, my team, have daily meetings, and didn't want to miss your call. If I know what time is good for you I can accommodate my schedule around you.

I do know the replacement fuses can be purchase at most major hardware stores and online. If replacing the fuse doesn't resolve your issue or if I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks again,

Sean M
Weber Consumer Care Team
I just told him I’m available now for the next several hours.

Nice! Just got off the phone with Sean from Weber. Super nice guy. Assured me the correct fuse is the 1.6 amp 250 volt 5mm x 20mm. He’s also sending me a couple bags of pellets for the hassle. That was very nice. He also stated they are aware of the confusion in the manual about the fuse. And they are working to change that. Weber support is great, usually.

Attachments

• C3925425-EF06-4059-B2D9-A4B401F116AB.jpeg
    C3925425-EF06-4059-B2D9-A4B401F116AB.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 23
Nice! Just got off the phone with Sean from Weber. Super nice guy. Assured me the correct fuse is the 1.6 amp 250 volt 5mm x 20mm. He’s also sending me a couple bags of pellets for the hassle. That was very nice. He also stated they are aware of the confusion in the manual about the fuse. And they are working to change that. Weber support is great, usually.
FINALLY! Glad to see that someone at Weber is both of the conflicting wording in their manual and that really do need to train their “phone answerers” — I would not call the ones you spoke with before Sean techs — need more training.

I am sorry you had to through all of that and waste so much time in order to get an answer to a straight forward question. Likewise, glad that, ultimately, I did not give you an incorrect answer.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! Smoke on...

Dang hopefully can get a correct answer. I purchased some fuses but now not sure they are right ones (1.6 250V Cartridge CeramicFast Blow (Fast Acting). Thanks for staying on top of them to get this figured out!

Edit - posted before your update from Sean Weber
Those are the right ones. I back calculated the correct size requirement using Ohm’s law while assembling my unit back in June, and also becoming confused by the manual. I have provided the rationale and calculations earlier on this thread.

Another thing is with the controller removed that the new fuse in. I checked before reattaching the controller. I did not see any lights anywhere. Granted it was sunny out but it was in shade by then. No lights.
They are not very bright, but are useful to troubleshoot. The 24 volt dc transformer powers the glow plug.

Those are the right ones. I back calculated the correct size requirement using Ohm’s law while assembling my unit back in June, and also becoming confused by the manual. I have provided the rationale and calculations earlier on this thread.
Excellent, thanks!

What they sent me
Sean M (Weber Grills)
Oct 24, 2020, 9:04 CDT
Hi Terry,

My name is Sean and I'm a supervisor here at Weber. I understand from Erika that you wanted the situation surrounding your SmokeFIre EX6 escalated. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble, but I'll gladly assist you with this. Given the time I saw your request I felt it was more appropriate to email rather than call. If you'd prefer to handle this by phone please let me know a date, time, and number to reach you and I'll try my best to accommodate.

I understand you are getting no power to the grill and you were looking for info on the replacement fuse. I wanted to go over a few things:

1.) Fuse replacement - 250V 1.6a fuse 20mm x 5mm fast blow.
2.) Confirm the power cord is securely plugged in under the hopper.
3.) If using an extension cord please try without.
4.) Please try using the grill on another outlet, or have the existing outlet tested to be sure it meets the grill's electric requirements:

• 110 -127VAC
  • 50/60Hz
  • 204W Max
  • 2402.0 - 2480.0MHz
5.) If you remove the controller slightly from the hopper, make sure the wire connection is secured in the back.

EIRhY2YLgEww7knUg7QYvli1f

6.) With the power button on and the controller removed, look down on the motherboard. Do you see any green lights?

h6QFb1Gr5x9gAPeGzEMEqiX3K

Please reply when convenient and we'll get your grill working in no time.

Thanks,

Sean M
Weber Consumer Care Team
I wouldn’t want to have to do all that.

I wouldn’t want to have to do all that.
Actually you never should have to open the controller to look at the control “idiot lights”. Normally replacing the fuse (F1.6A250v) fuse re-powers everything. One of those lights is there to help diagnose whether the 24VDC transformer for the glow plug, or the plug itself, has failed. The others are to determine if there is a malfunction in the control board and whether it is operating correctly

The web site says fuse, Webber support walked me through getting fuse out. They said if it’s cloudy, it’s blown...not sure what could have caused it to blow. Included is fuse pic. Can’t tel it it’s blown or not.
And I just watched a video on how to replace...it looks just like this fuse. There are no burns or splits in this one I took out.
Can you test it with an OHM meter?

Yes. In fact that is the only way to tell...whether via ohm meter or simple battery test. The Weber manual on page 31 has lots of erroneous information that does not apply to, in your case, testing for a ad fast blow ceramic fuse. Just make sure you replace with a 1.6Amp, 250 Volt fast blow fuse

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back