Searwood - Weber Pellets Only?

meflores

Reaction score
Grill
Searwood 600XL and Gas Grill
New here, but did pull the trigger on a Searwood 600XL. I've used Weber grills for a while now, so they were my go to when looking for a pellet grill. Though I skipped the Smokefire based on other reviews.

So, Weber, of course, recommends using their brand of pellets, but has anyone tries anything else in their pellet smokers? Any other actual user recommended pellets? I have a bag of B&B pellets that I plan to try, but should I expect any real trouble since it's not Weber? B&B claims no fillers used and the pellets look fine, but I'm curious as to what others are using.

New here, but did pull the trigger on a Searwood 600XL. I've used Weber grills for a while now, so they were my go to when looking for a pellet grill. Though I skipped the Smokefire based on other reviews.

So, Weber, of course, recommends using their brand of pellets, but has anyone tries anything else in their pellet smokers? Any other actual user recommended pellets? I have a bag of B&B pellets that I plan to try, but should I expect any real trouble since it's not Weber? B&B claims no fillers used and the pellets look fine, but I'm curious as to what others are using.

You can use any pellets. I've used CookinPellets (~$35 for 40 lbs) for cooks that I want quality smoke, and cheap Kirkland Pellets ($13 for 40 lbs) for high heat cooking. High heat on the Searwood goes through pellets pretty quickly.

You can use any pellets. I've used CookinPellets (~$35 for 40 lbs) for cooks that I want quality smoke, and cheap Kirkland Pellets ($13 for 40 lbs) for high heat cooking. High heat on the Searwood goes through pellets pretty quickly.
Thanks, I suspected as much since most are similar in shape and size. How long before the hopper needs a refill if grilling at high heat? Also, how long are you comfortable leaving pellets in the hopper in between cooks? Or do you dump it after each use?

Thanks, I suspected as much since most are similar in shape and size. How long before the hopper needs a refill if grilling at high heat? Also, how long are you comfortable leaving pellets in the hopper in between cooks? Or do you dump it after each use?

I thought I read somewhere that Weber said that high heat cooking (which I take to mean ~500 degrees, or manual mode 10) burns through 5 pounds per hour, or something. I can believe it. I dump all my pellets between cooks and don't really fill it up for higher heat runs, so I can't really say for sure.

EDIT: It's actually on the hopper: 6.6 lbs per hour @ 600 degrees.

If you have a cabellas or bass pro shop I can’t recommend their pellets enough. Everyone says they are the same as Weber pellets and my SmokeFire loves them. 1/2 the price of Weber.

I've had my Searwood XL for about a month, done half a dozen cooks & haven't used Weber pellets yet. So far, Griller's Gold, Bear Mountain & Smokey Woods, no issues.

On the SmokeFire if you used pellets that were physically larger than the Weber ones you could have feed problems. The Kirkland ones are a bit bigger and I had problems on my Smokefire with them and I have protection screen removed.

I hope they have solved this issue with the Searwood.

I'd try them and see how they work and let us know what you like.

Last edited:
On the SmokeFire if you used pellets that were physically larger than the Weber ones you could have feed problems. The Kirkland ones are a bit bigger and I had problems on my Searwood with them and I have protection screen removed.

I hope they have solved this issue with the Searwood.

I'd try them and see how they work and let us know what you like.
I just looked at the Kirkwood pellets too. Good price, but curious to know if anyone has tried them on a Searwood. 40lbs seems like a bit of a gamble if they don't work out. Though, I guess I could donate to someone with some other smoker brand if it doesn't work out.

I used Weber pellets for years in my SmokeFire, but switched to Lumberjack and never went back. Use them in my Recteq also.

Thinking same thing here - which SKU’s are same size as Weber pellets (just plunged on searwood xl due to local stock limitations on standard size). Limited availability of Weber pellets and no bulk size. Would like a cheaper alternative for pellets on manual mode (level 10 blows through them and a lot just to make a batch of burgers or anything where you want to get a nice sear/high temp). Looking for help!

Thinking same thing here - which SKU’s are same size as Weber pellets (just plunged on searwood xl due to local stock limitations on standard size). Limited availability of Weber pellets and no bulk size. Would like a cheaper alternative for pellets on manual mode (level 10 blows through them and a lot just to make a batch of burgers or anything where you want to get a nice sear/high temp). Looking for help!
I've had multiple cooks with B&B since they are the easiest for me to get (at the local grocery store) and have had no issues. Above in the thread, Kirkland (Costco) brand is mentioned to also work, though I haven't tried them. Next time I go, I'll grab a bag for the same reason you mention. To use for high heat work that burns through them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back