Searwood - Weber Pellets Only?

I've had multiple cooks with B&B since they are the easiest for me to get (at the local grocery store) and have had no issues. Above in the thread, Kirkland (Costco) brand is mentioned to also work, though I haven't tried them. Next time I go, I'll grab a bag for the same reason you mention. To use for high heat work that burns through them.
I was one of the ones who mentioned the Kirkland pellets last month. I've used almost 60 pounds of them since I posted previously and have had zero issues, all for high heat cooking/searing. The pellets themselves vary widely in size, and some of them seem quite long. But it's never been a problem on the Searwood. An aside, I do dump the pellets between cooks so they don't sit outside in the humidity, etc.

At $13 for 40 lbs, it's a deal when you just want cheap heat.

I was one of the ones who mentioned the Kirkland pellets last month. I've used almost 60 pounds of them since I posted previously and have had zero issues, all for high heat cooking/searing. The pellets themselves vary widely in size, and some of them seem quite long. But it's never been a problem on the Searwood. An aside, I do dump the pellets between cooks so they don't sit outside in the humidity, etc.

At $13 for 40 lbs, it's a deal when you just want cheap heat.
Whereabouts are you finding $13 for 40lbs? (Have not seen this at my local Costco)

Whereabouts are you finding $13 for 40lbs? (Have not seen this at my local Costco)

Well I'm new to pellets, so maybe it's not a full time price. But I've been to my local Costco twice since May and both times the Kirkland pellets were $12.95 for a 40 pound bag. Maybe it's just some sort of early season price.

Well I'm new to pellets, so maybe it's not a full time price. But I've been to my local Costco twice since May and both times the Kirkland pellets were $12.95 for a 40 pound bag. Maybe it's just some sort of early season price.
I've been to 2 Costcos in the Twin Cities area of MN, both were ~$13 as well.

New here, but did pull the trigger on a Searwood 600XL. I've used Weber grills for a while now, so they were my go to when looking for a pellet grill. Though I skipped the Smokefire based on other reviews.

So, Weber, of course, recommends using their brand of pellets, but has anyone tries anything else in their pellet smokers? Any other actual user recommended pellets? I have a bag of B&B pellets that I plan to try, but should I expect any real trouble since it's not Weber? B&B claims no fillers used and the pellets look fine, but I'm curious as to what others are using.
I use Kirkland pellets from Costco. No problems.

Has anyone tried the Royal oak lump hardwood pellets in the smokefire.

For what it's worth.. I've done a couple rounds of thick ribeyes and used a 50/50 blend of Bear Mountain Hickory and Royal Oak all charcoal pellets on the Searwood. I was a little concerned initially because the Royal Oak charcoal pellets were significantly longer than any others I had used. After 3 cooks with them I have had no issues with the pellet feed and burning.

New here, but did pull the trigger on a Searwood 600XL. I've used Weber grills for a while now, so they were my go to when looking for a pellet grill. Though I skipped the Smokefire based on other reviews.

So, Weber, of course, recommends using their brand of pellets, but has anyone tries anything else in their pellet smokers? Any other actual user recommended pellets? I have a bag of B&B pellets that I plan to try, but should I expect any real trouble since it's not Weber? B&B claims no fillers used and the pellets look fine, but I'm curious as to what others are using.
I've been using Bear Mountain Pellets with no issues yet (Knock on wood)......

Smokin Pecan Shell Pellets are a game changer if you are doing a low & slow cook. Best smoke producing pellets I have ever used. Been using Knotty Wood for smoking and Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets for grilling. So now I have three brands I chose depending on what I’m cooking

I have been using pellets from Knottywood, https://knottywoodbbq.com/, for 3 years now. The company's main business is removing orchards around the Woodland, CA area. Their base pellets are Almond and Plum with variations on them. They have a bit of a subtle smoke flavor to them but they work very well for me. I especially like their Cabernet Almond blend where they get old oak wine barrels and use them in those pellets. They can be ordered from either Home Depot or Lowe's and their is no shipping charges.

Last edited:
New EX4 Gen 2 owner. Purchased a bag of the Weber Grillmaster pellets from Homedepot.com to get my new grill going. Kind of pricey. Read several places online including this forum that Lumberjack makes the Weber pellets and also Cabela pellets. Found out I can order the Cabela Competition Blend for half the price of the Weber pellets, so I ordered 3 bags. They showed up today and although the color is close to the Weber Grillmaster pellets, they are definitely larger diameter pellets. Did Cabela switch to a different supplier recently? I'm afraid these are going to cause problems with my EX4 as I've heard only the smaller pellets work properly.

New EX4 Gen 2 owner. Purchased a bag of the Weber Grillmaster pellets from Homedepot.com to get my new grill going. Kind of pricey. Read several places online including this forum that Lumberjack makes the Weber pellets and also Cabela pellets. Found out I can order the Cabela Competition Blend for half the price of the Weber pellets, so I ordered 3 bags. They showed up today and although the color is close to the Weber Grillmaster pellets, they are definitely larger diameter pellets. Did Cabela switch to a different supplier recently? I'm afraid these are going to cause problems with my EX4 as I've heard only the smaller pellets work properly.
That would suck. I picked up six bags a few months ago. They looked pretty Weberish to me. I don’t have any Weber pellets to compare though, due to the fact I won’t pay that price anymore.

I'm a big fan of the Bear Mountain pellets. Academy normally has a good price or Amazon will have deals every now and then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back