Bacon

Food safety with Bacon, like with any fresh meat, is paramount. Both curing it with pink salt (Sodium Nitrite) and smoking to a temperature of at least 140F (preferably 150F) achieves that. At that point, you have created raw, uncooked bacon.

However, I was taught that such partially processed “bacon” can only safely be refrigerated (below 40F) for up to 7 days before frying or turning into burnt ends, etc. Alternatively, It can safely be vacuum sealed and frozen for 4-6 months before frying and or further cooking.
This is what my research showed me. Except I read up to a year, but in my mind anyone who lets bacon sit in the freezer for a whole year has serious mental issues....lol

This is what my research showed me. Except I read up to a year, but in my mind anyone who lets bacon sit in the freezer for a whole year has serious mental issues....lol
Trust me, ours never comes close to the 4 month recommended limit...after all “Everything tastes better with Bacon!

So I’m cooking some what I have left. Adding to potatoe soup. Also doing our nearly famous baked beans for our Christmas Eve dinner. I gave half of what I made, to my pastor, for Christmas.

Attachments

• 9FE6CDEF-C40A-4242-ACC7-DD6592950CEA.jpeg
    9FE6CDEF-C40A-4242-ACC7-DD6592950CEA.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 17

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back