Bacon

Just remember that bacon and pork belly are, at the end of preserving curing,, smoking and processing are two different types of meat, each with to own advantages.
Can you explain the difference?
Pork belly, when cooked to 195F or so is a completely cooked piece of meat. From my perspective it makes great sandwiches by itself as well as a topping or compliment to other meats as well as making terrific burnt ends akin to those of the point in a brisket. In fact, I often serve both types of burnt ends for stand-alone meals as well as heavy appetizers. It still has a significant amount of fat, and is more pliable

Bacon made from smoked pork belly, is a preserved piece of meat thanks to the curing salt, but at 150F or so is neither fully “cooked” nor ready for consumption... as a result it is an intermediate, preserved piece of meat that has a limited shelf life unless frozen, kind of like the bacon you buy in a store. It thus needs finishing into bacon by frying. Once fried, it has a totally different consistency from pork belly, is not really amenable to making burnt ends, but makes a great BLT, burger toppings and a terrific appetizer when sliced, fried and displayed.

I love both, but it really is a personal preference in terms of how it is served, consistence, flavorings, etc.

I guess my question should be, can I make bacon from the process I’m using on pork belly? I’m either dull at the moment, or just not quit catching the idea. I’ve tried to look it up online, and still not sure if bacon is just cured pork belly, or if it is a completely different cut. One thing I read said bacon comes from a part of the belly that is cured?! The pig doesn’t cure its own belly...maybe tomorrow it will click.

I guess my question should be, can I make bacon from the process I’m using on pork belly? I’m either dull at the moment, or just not quit catching the idea. I’ve tried to look it up online, and still not sure if bacon is just cured pork belly, or if it is a completely different cut. One thing I read said bacon comes from a part of the belly that is cured?! The pig doesn’t cure its own belly...maybe tomorrow it will click.
I understand. Both come from the belly of the pig and are essentially the same piece of meat to start.
If you are just making pork belly, it does not need to be cured with curing salt since it is cooked until it is safe to eat at 195F.

Bacon, on the other-hand, must have curing salt added as a preservative, whether wet or dry curing, since it is only “partially cooked” to 150F... an intermediate step that then requires frying to make bacon. However, if you continue to smoke pork belly beyond 150F or so it will begin to turn into cooked pork belly and will no longer be useful for making bacon.

Other than that, it is a personal preference decision in terms of what rubs and flavorings are added

Ok, I appreciate that....that’s what I thought. So I am going to smoke it to about 150. Then freeze some and cook some. Kind of excited as I like bacon.

Ive made pork belly, as you see above. It was ok just not spectacular. I love trying new things....at least new to me.

Ok, I appreciate that....that’s what I thought. So I am going to smoke it to about 150. Then freeze some and cook some. Kind of excited as I like bacon.
Just make sure that you cure it with curing salt prior to smoking if you want to make bacon. Uncured bacon is highly susceptible to spoiling as it is essentially undercooked meat

Last edited:
Ive made pork belly, as you see above. It was ok just not spectacular. I love trying new things....at least new to me.
That is why we are back-yard chefs and love to try different things...some work out well...others not so much.

It has curing salt or cure mixed in the sugar, kosher salt and pepper. Says let it sit in the fridge for 7 days. Turning once a day. Then take out and rinse let it sit in the fridge 24 hours before smoking.

It has curing salt or cure mixed in the sugar, kosher salt and pepper. Says let it sit in the fridge for 7 days. Turning once a day. Then take out and rinse let it sit in the fridge 24 hours before smoking.
That is a typical dry cure process and a critical step in making bacon. The alternative is wet bringing..

Just to add to the confusion, you may see claims and advertisements for “uncured” bacon. This is typicall made using celery in place of man-made sodium nitrite curing salt like Prague #1 pink salt. Celery salt compounds contains naturally occurring sodium nitrite in addition to salt in place of the man-made alternative. Further, smoking is a natural process for preserving meat, which is why both pork belly and bacon are cooked at lower temperatures for longer periods.

Last edited:
Don't know if any use to anyone thinking of curing their own bacon. i use this online calculator

I drop the ppm to 150 but 156 is safe All you have to do is add the weight of your meat and it calculates the Sugar, Salt and Cure you need to add, when you press the button.

Always worth remembering if Wet or Dry brining and adding Molasses, beer etc, they already have a high sugar content so you don't really want to add any more or you can end up with a an overly sweet cure.

I have found with readymix cure like Supacure they have a way too higher Salt and Prague No1 % in their mixes and taste way too salty certainly for my tastes. Wherever possible always best to mix your own cures if you have suitable digital scales and Prague No1 powder.

Also I know Pork belly is the go to meat for Bacon (called streaky in the UK) but we also use the loin with the tail end of the pork belly for Back bacon, just as nice but not as fatty as a belly cut

Looks like this with the rind removed and the fatcap left, once cured and smoked it is sliced and fried up as per streaky

homemade-british_bacon_4.jpg

I’m pretty jealous of all this bacon talk. Something I’ve never done in all these years of smoking. Shame on me.

Don't know if any use to anyone thinking of curing their own bacon. i use this online calculator

I drop the ppm to 150 but 156 is safe All you have to do is add the weight of your meat and it calculates the Sugar, Salt and Cure you need to add, when you press the button.

Always worth remembering if Wet or Dry brining and adding Molasses, beer etc, they already have a high sugar content so you don't really want to add any more or you can end up with a an overly sweet cure.

I have found with readymix cure like Supacure they have a way too higher Salt and Prague No1 % in their mixes and taste way too salty certainly for my tastes. Wherever possible always best to mix your own cures if you have suitable digital scales and Prague No1 powder.

Also I know Pork belly is the go to meat for Bacon (called streaky in the UK) but we also use the loin with the tail end of the pork belly for Back bacon, just as nice but not as fatty as a belly cut

Looks like this with the rind removed and the fatcap left, once cured and smoked it is sliced and fried up as per streaky

View attachment 2768
I follow a similar procedure to determine the proper amount of Prague #1 to add. Also, one of the reasons I prefer to wet brine is that it allows me to minimize the amount of salt and sodium nitrite being added to my bacon.

Over the years other I have adapted to a version of the Weber “Smoke” book recipe that uses honey and maple syrup. That hint of sweetness, combined with crushed black pepper pressed into the fat side and smoked with Hickory pellets gives us the flavor profile we prefer.

Like a lot of BBQ and SmokeFire recipes, the key is in finding a flavor profile you 😉 😊 enjoy.

By the way, the piece of meat in your photo is identical to the Peameal Bacon (Canadian Bacon) also made from pork loin that I also make as well as enjoy every time we cross the Border into Ontario. I was brought up with it in my younger days when we had a Summer cottage in Canada on Lake Erie near Port Colborne.

Last edited:
Ok so after the seven days took it out, rinsed it good patted dry the uncovered in the fridge overnight. On the SF for about 3 hours at 200, then 1 more at 225. Approx 140 when taken off. Cut some up and fried it...OMG, it is really really good. Only thing I would do different is not buy the already sliced Bork belly, it made so I couldn’t cut into slices. Had to cut into little chunks.

Attachments

• 5B4070E9-11D3-4C5A-A344-782C47671581.jpeg
    5B4070E9-11D3-4C5A-A344-782C47671581.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 248E56D0-FA34-4EDD-BBED-638EA9B46D88.jpeg
    248E56D0-FA34-4EDD-BBED-638EA9B46D88.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 838ABDE0-D72F-4F9A-A660-B852C4481265.jpeg
    838ABDE0-D72F-4F9A-A660-B852C4481265.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 01C0758F-5EF5-4341-9FD3-23B3EDB14B79.jpeg
    01C0758F-5EF5-4341-9FD3-23B3EDB14B79.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 20
  • A6131B35-F444-44A6-9960-3A4DA0EB056D.jpeg
    A6131B35-F444-44A6-9960-3A4DA0EB056D.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 21
Ok so after the seven days took it out, rinsed it good patted dry the uncovered in the fridge overnight. On the SF for about 3 hours at 200, then 1 more at 225. Approx 140 when taken off. Cut some up and fried it...OMG, it is really really good. Only thing I would do different is not buy the already sliced Bork belly, it made so I couldn’t cut into slices. Had to cut into little chunks.

Looks good, out of interest how long will that keep without freezing, have you got to use it all in one go or because you cured it, it will last for a while in the fridge/freezer.

I cold smoked in Beech Dust a couple of slabs of belly pork yesterday for 14 hours that had been curing for 12 days for Xmas/New Year. Leaving the smoke to settle for 36-48 hours before slicing and packing.

Will post some pictures later in the week once done.

Looks good, out of interest how long will that keep without freezing, have you got to use it all in one go or because you cured it, it will last for a while in the fridge/freezer.

I cold smoked in Beech Dust a couple of slabs of belly pork yesterday for 14 hours that had been curing for 12 days for Xmas/New Year. Leaving the smoke to settle for 36-48 hours before slicing and packing.

Will post some pictures later in the week once done.
Food safety with Bacon, like with any fresh meat, is paramount. Both curing it with pink salt (Sodium Nitrite) and smoking to a temperature of at least 140F (preferably 150F) achieves that. At that point, you have created raw, uncooked bacon.

However, I was taught that such partially processed “bacon” can only safely be refrigerated (below 40F) for up to 7 days before frying or turning into burnt ends, etc. Alternatively, It can safely be vacuum sealed and frozen for 4-6 months before frying and or further cooking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back