šŸ”„ What's cooking on your SmokeFire/Searwood? šŸ„©

Saturday morning here..
got some beef and pork on for sliders tonight.
First time using the top rack.. Interested to see how it goes.
Putting some cheese kranskys on for lunch soon too.

1618621139873.png

Saturday morning here..
got some beef and pork on for sliders tonight.
First time using the top rack.. Interested to see how it goes.
Putting some cheese kranskys on for lunch soon too.

View attachment 3791
Top rack is where itā€™s at IMO. Enjoy! Sounds great!

Top rack is where itā€™s at IMO. Enjoy! Sounds great!
Agree, I find myself using the top rack more and more lately. For me it was initially because the cleanup is easier, but I have been noticing more consistency in color / bark overall too.

Agree, I find myself using the top rack more and more lately. For me it was initially because the cleanup is easier, but I have been noticing more consistency in color / bark overall too.
I feel like the top rack does give better flow of smoke when using drip pans. I prefer the pans further away than when using bottom rack with pans on the flavorizer bars.

I feel like the top rack does give better flow of smoke when using drip pans. I prefer the pans further away than when using bottom rack with pans on the flavorizer bars.

That has worked well for me too. I have an EX6 so I just find it easier to have the pans on the bottom wrack but if I am doing a larger volume of food, then I will lift the bottom grates and sandwich the pans between them and the flavorizer bars for sure. I went without pans once cooking 2 pork shoulders, that is not going to happen again as it resulted in way too much cleanup for my liking. :)

How long did you sous vide? My wife tends to go for the minimal time thinking that she is going to overlook it. I think that the meat needs to get to a stable internal temp with longer cooks. And it might be the temp setting/thermometer of the sous vide. I know it has not been calibrated. What I am really asking about is the texture.
Hi,
I put grilling salt (large crystals), pepper, garlic powder on steaks, then put them in bags and used the water displacement method to remove air. I used just large freezer bags to avoid squeezing steaks and deforming them with a vacuum. The water bath was at 135 F for two hours. After that, you can take them out of the water bath and let them cool down to room temperature (or keep them in the refrigerator till the next day, if you're preparing ahead of time).
Before searing them, take a water bath cooked steaks out of the bag, pat them as dry as you can with paper towels. Sear over the highest temp area in your grill ( I placed them over the charcoal on the Performer this time, but tried it on the SF with similar results), or use a cast iron pan with a little bit of oil/butter mix with fresh garlic, thyme and/or rosemary, basting it continuously after you turn it to the second side. It takes 1-2 minutes per side. You can also use a blow torch to give a quick sear, but you'll be missing that smoky flavor. Remember, the steaks are already cooked, you're just giving them a quick sear to look more appetizing.
Don't waste those juices from the bag, make a sauce with them. last weekend I made some nice ribeye steaks with mashed potatoes. That sauce was amazing on them.

Happy grilling, my friends.

See, my wife would do 120 and if I really push,125 degrees for one hour. That just does not do it for me. Fire was meant to warm the cold meat up.

See, my wife would do 120 and if I really push,125 degrees for one hour. That just does not do it for me. Fire was meant to warm the cold meat up.
Well, it will warm it up, but the main purpose of the fire is to sear the meat. Make sure the grill is heated up to the max. It the temp is not high enough, you will be trying to keep it longer, which will keep hearing up inside of the steak and overcook your steak.
Also, try to get pretty thick steaks. I try to get them about 1.5 inch thick. When it cooks in sous vide, it will shrink it a bit too.

Latest Discussions

Back