Weber Comes Through

Barkley

Reaction score
Grill
Smokefire EX6
Hi All, long time no post. About 2.5 years ago I bought a SmokeFire and had huge problems with it - I dropped a ton of money on a supposedly amazing smoker, and for 6 weeks it was a useless brick. The board needed to be replaced, Weber was internally introducing new fulfilment software, so it was the perfect time for a problem to remain unresolved. But when they got their situation sorted out they sent me the stuff I needed, and here's the important bit: I've had 2.5 years of really good food - I'm extremely happy with this smoker.

On my last cook the Smokefire lost temp, then after a shutdown and restart wouldn't even raise the temp even a little. I read the manual, got a replacement glow plug, and set to work on fixing the most likely problem. The only problem - the glow plug was stuck in the harness. I raised the little ground point and pulled with channel locks to the point that the whole harness was about to break, and it just won't move.

So I called Weber. The rep was great, understood the problem, verified that the proper steps were taken, and is now sending out a whole new glow plug and harness. Very quick and easy.

Same thing happened to my almost three year old SF, plug for melted into the glow plug assembly....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241020_151209_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20241020_151209_Gallery.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20241020_151204_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20241020_151204_Gallery.webp
    119.3 KB · Views: 7
Don, thank you for confirming my experience is not unique. I cook spatchcocked chicken at 225F until internal of 145F, then blast at 475F to get the skin crispy. Food safe at 168, but stop short and let residual cooking let you get crispy skin and a bird with juice. It's honestly the best chicken I've ever had, but just logically it needs to be difficult on the smoker. High heat melting plastic... not a big stretch.

Last edited:
I've been reverse searing cowboy steaks, at least 15 a year, among many overnight smokes. It's meant to take it but does take it's toll on the machine. I got a Searwood XL now, hopefully it'll do it's job

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back