Searwood Temperature Crash

SteveSeaton

Reaction score
Grill
Searwood 600
I am still new to the Searwood 600. On two cooks I have had a temperature start crashing from the set point temperature. Yesterday I had set for 500 to sear some salmon. It got up to temp fine. I put the salmon on and closed the lid. The was a little lower at first, which is expected, but then it kept dropping down to 300. At that point I changed the set point to 600 and the grill started raising the temp back up. I finished the cook just fine, but if this happened during a long cook I might not have noticed for awhile. Has anyone else seen this happen? (I captured the temperature graph for when I talk to customer service).

I haven't seen that at high temps, but I have seen it at 400 or so. I mitigated most of it by switching to Lumberjack pellets. I'd used Bear Mountain and Pit Boss pellets which are much larger in diameter and seemed to be getting crushed at auger in the bottom of the hopper, resulting in the unit feeding dust and small chips into the firepot. The Lumberjack pellets seem to be small enough to feed without being crushed. Were you temping with a third party probe or just watching the Searwood's display? The display is known to give false readings compared to other probes such as Fireboard and Thermoworks.

Yeah, that definitely sounds frustrating. It could be a sensor issue or something with the grill's control system. Sometimes cleaning the temperature probe can help with more accurate readings. Also, make sure there’s no blockage in the airflow. Reaching out to customer service with the temp graph is a good call—they might be able to pinpoint the issue!

I haven't seen that at high temps, but I have seen it at 400 or so. I mitigated most of it by switching to Lumberjack pellets. I'd used Bear Mountain and Pit Boss pellets which are much larger in diameter and seemed to be getting crushed at auger in the bottom of the hopper, resulting in the unit feeding dust and small chips into the firepot. The Lumberjack pellets seem to be small enough to feed without being crushed. Were you temping with a third party probe or just watching the Searwood's display? The display is known to give false readings compared to other probes such as Fireboard and Thermoworks.
I was using Lumberjack hickory pellets, as I have heard the same opinion you voiced that they are better with the Searwood.

Oddly enough, I was not using an independent probe. When it did the crash the first time, I started using an old thermoworks that I had, but it just quit a couple weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet.

I gave the unit a good cleaning and if/when it happens again I will have two cases to take to customer service.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back