Check this out...

I just started my SmokeFire this morning, set it to 600 then went inside. 10 minutes later, still at 60 degrees. Sometimes this thing just doesn't light, as if the glow plug doesn't turn on at all. This problem happens enough to be quite annoying because the shut down process takes so long. This puts me at least a half hour behind schedule.

I just started my SmokeFire this morning, set it to 600 then went inside. 10 minutes later, still at 60 degrees. Sometimes this thing just doesn't light, as if the glow plug doesn't turn on at all. This problem happens enough to be quite annoying because the shut down process takes so long. This puts me at least a half hour behind schedule.
That has to be frustrating. Does it start smoking but then not light? So far mine has started every time. I leave the lid open until I see and smell smoke then shut it. There was a software update today that hopefully addresses this for you. I’ve seen some recommend taking the center flavorizer out and watch to make sure lights but I’m hoping that’s not necessary.

The times that it does not light it seems as though the glow plug didn't turn on at all. The whole purpose of this thing was so I would not have to babysit my grill. I turn it on and then walk away to prep my food usually.

Have you tried taking the glow plug out and reinserting it? I had to push really hard to get mine to insert all the way. Maybe those times it doesn’t make a good connection? Or maybe the glow plug is defective?

That has to be frustrating. Does it start smoking but then not light? So far mine has started every time. I leave the lid open until I see and smell smoke then shut it. There was a software update today that hopefully addresses this for you. I’ve seen some recommend taking the center flavorizer out and watch to make sure lights but I’m hoping that’s not necessary.
I had that problem early on. So I took out my glow plug and reinstalled it. It went in further than it originally did. Seems to doing fine now.

I've been having the same problem. What I noticed is my glow plug gets hot before any pellets reach the burn pot. By the time enough get there the glow plug is shut off. Doesn't happen every time but enough to be frustrating. Emailed Weber and they say a new software update is coming within 2 weeks that will fix it and also improve the shutdown and restart process. In the meantime I prime it with a few pellets to make sure it has fuel. I'm going to pull and clean the glow plug per Ricky's suggestion to see if that helps too.

I have been using the cheap Pit Boss pellets. I was advised by a pellet grill guy that’s been at this since the first pellet grill hit the market to switch to Lumberjack brand real hard wood pellets. No residue dust and real hard wood flavor. He said I will instantly see better results with better flame and better flavor. Mine arrived today and I will advise how they cook this weekend. I too will be vacuuming out all the left over residue.
I only use Lumberjack but I wouldn't say 'no residue dust' there may be less but they do have better flavour and give off better smoke. They are just 100% hardwood with no additives/binders. I like a blend using some char hickory and some comp blend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back