Any Tips For Using My New Searwood?

Slapshot

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Master Touch
As I mentioned in my other discussion, I should have my new Searwood 600 delivered by Ace somewhere around August 1-2. I'm very much looking forward to it. Any tips or tricks you owners have learned, through using yours, that would help me get started up and running effectively? Any help appreciated.

Hello Slapshot, I would think once you have the burn off performed I would do the "biscuit test" on the lower and upper rack. There are several videos on YouTube (Sambo's Place) that show how to perform this test. It really gives you a great idea of where the hot spots are on the grill.

Also the types of pellets you use does make a difference. I have been a Weber user for over 20 years, big fan. Their pellets are good, but I tend to go with Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets for grilling (350 - 600 degrees) and Smokin Pecan Shell Pellets for smoking (180 - 300 degrees). However there are a lot of good quality pellets. Just know some burn longer than others, some use oils and saw dust to get to smoke flavors, and others burn really quickly.

Lastly for beginners, be good about maintenance and clean up. Especially from long cooks. Get familiar with taking everything out to get to the burn pot, have a small shop vac, and scrap/clean often.

Hello Slapshot, I would think once you have the burn off performed I would do the "biscuit test" on the lower and upper rack. There are several videos on YouTube (Sambo's Place) that show how to perform this test. It really gives you a great idea of where the hot spots are on the grill.

Also the types of pellets you use does make a difference. I have been a Weber user for over 20 years, big fan. Their pellets are good, but I tend to go with Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets for grilling (350 - 600 degrees) and Smokin Pecan Shell Pellets for smoking (180 - 300 degrees). However there are a lot of good quality pellets. Just know some burn longer than others, some use oils and saw dust to get to smoke flavors, and others burn really quickly.

Lastly for beginners, be good about maintenance and clean up. Especially from long cooks. Get familiar with taking everything out to get to the burn pot, have a small shop vac, and scrap/clean often.
Thanks very much for that helpful information! Greatly appreciated.

My first failed attempt was following all the recipies/links that said cook Baby Backs at 225 for 5.5 hours. BS!!! You should do 275. Those will be done in 5-5.5 hrs. And don't do the 3:2:1 either. I did not buy an expensive smoker to wrap up meat for 2 hrs.

My first failed attempt was following all the recipies/links that said cook Baby Backs at 225 for 5.5 hours. BS!!! You should do 275. Those will be done in 5-5.5 hrs. And don't do the 3:2:1 either. I did not buy an expensive smoker to wrap up meat for 2 hrs.
This seems like a much less than promising comment. I'm not sure whether the Searwood came up short here, or it was the recipes that failed?

This seems like a much less than promising comment. I'm not sure whether the Searwood came up short here, or it was the recipes that failed?
Oh no, not a reflection on the gril at all. Since then, I found many more recipes/videos that call for 250--275 cooks. I should have used my common sense.

Oh no, not a reflection on the gril at all. Since then, I found many more recipes/videos that call for 250--275 cooks. I should have used my common sense.
Thanks for clarifying. My misunderstanding.

Like someone else said, after your initial burn, you can do the "biscuit test" to find your hot spots but I never did. Instead, I watched the same video mentioned and figured my hot spots would be the same...they are. The back right is the hottest spot for sure and the left front seems to be the coolest. This is good to know when grilling but not necessary for smoking.
After you do the burn-in and etc., I'd recommend cooking ribs first as you inaugural cook. Ribs are done much quicker than pork butts, briskets, or anything else so you will learn your smokers pellet consumption rate, get a chance to play with the app and other electronics, and get a good feel for the smoker. When you're finished, have the meat sweats, and everything has cooled off, open up your grill and look at how much ash and soot has built up. This will give you an idea of how often you will have to clean your grill. I feel like your climate and current weather will have some impact on this as well. Nevertheless, good luck!

Also, as another person said, I also cook my ribs at 275° and I do not use the 3-2-1 method. I do prefer my pork ribs to fall off of the bone and like the bark to not be tough but instead be moist.

Tomorrow I do my 2nd cook...pork shoulder. I'm doing a wrap after 7 hrs at 275 to keep the cook under 10 hour...otherwise I have to get up at 4am. NO!

As I mentioned in my other discussion, I should have my new Searwood 600 delivered by Ace somewhere around August 1-2. I'm very much looking forward to it. Any tips or tricks you owners have learned, through using yours, that would help me get started up and running effectively? Any help appreciated.
It really all boils down to trial and error with any kind of cook, you can follow recipes or just do your own thing!
IMG_2266.jpeg
IMG_2253.jpeg
Just do your burn in and enjoy. We’ve had ours a lil over a month now and have not cooked a thing inside.

Yeah what he said! Do the burn in and then throw everything you can on it and enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpeg
    IMG_2313.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2312.jpeg
    IMG_2312.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 28
It is able too handle anything you wanna do on it with the proper accessories!

My long awaited Searwood was finally delivered by Ace on Thursday. Just in time for four straight days of rain and daily thunderstorms. Once again, timing is everything. It will likely be Tuesday before I can burn it in, and hopefully, following that, smoke my first batch of something delicious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back