Soon.....

Any special meat you plan on cooking for the inauguration? :ROFLMAO:

Its Friday and we usually do Pizza on the BBQ so it will probably be that. I am going out this morning to pick up a brisket to do tomorrow or Sunday though.

FWIW I have an eero mesh network and at the time I purchased the SmokeFire there wasn’t and option to use have separate SSID for 5 ghz vs 2.4 and it connected fine once was in range. granted I was pretty far away from an access point at the time so may have only been picking up the 5 ghz. now it is close to a different access point and defintely sees the 5 ghz strong and has no issues. eero finally added ability to temporarily disable the 5 ghz network so can setup devices that use your phone WiFi connection and are 2.4 ghz only.

Im running the burn in now after updating everything. I connected it to the wifi sucesfully without needing to make any changes.

The updates only took about 10min and the app told me when they were done.

Im running the burn in now after updating everything. I connected it to the wifi sucesfully without needing to make any changes.

The updates only took about 10min and the app told me when they were done.
I have not had that happen yet.

I got a pizza cook done on Friday night which went well Then it rained all day yesterday (This was when
I discovered that the cover isn't waterproof).
I had a brisket cook planned for today but had to pull the pin on that due to some more bad weather and no under cover area to cook. If the weather clears up later today I might see if I can get a roast done in it instead.
The brisket may need to go in the freezer for another time.

I got a pizza cook done on Friday night which went well Then it rained all day yesterday (This was when
I discovered that the cover isn't waterproof).
I had a brisket cook planned for today but had to pull the pin on that due to some more bad weather and no under cover area to cook. If the weather clears up later today I might see if I can get a roast done in it instead.
The brisket may need to go in the freezer for another time.
I have cooked several meals, including brisket in inclement weather, including rain. As long as you start with fresh, dry pellets it is largely a no-brainer, as you seldom need to open the hopper, the controller is weatherproof and it just seems to chug along.

I am confused. What cover is not waterproof?
The Weber one. We had some heavy rain yesterday and when I took the cover off there was water on the hopper lid and the shelf near the controller.

Wow, I am surprised. Mine has been dry through six-seven days of straight rain and been dry. It has worked so well that I thought about picking up an extra from these Lowe's clearance sales.

The Weber cover for my EX6 disappointed me. Flimsy to say the least. My Masterbuilt 1050 weighs at least twice as much, and has a heavy plastic coating

I am confused. What cover is not waterproof?
Unlike the heavier covers that Weber make for their Summit and WSM line, the SF cover I have for my ex4 is fairly light weight and does allow some moisture and water to seep through. However, it does not seem to create any real issues operationally with the unit.

Last edited:
The Weber cover for my EX6 disappointed me. Flimsy to say the least. My Masterbuilt 1050 weighs at least twice as much, and has a heavy plastic coating
The problem with a heavy, lined, waterproof cover on a pellet grill is that it will trap moisture underneath the cover due to condensation. IMO, this is bad for both the pellets and the electronics.

The Weber covers for the Summit and WSM lines of grills, both of which I have, are much heavier.

It seems like the same material as the Weber cover I have for my Genesis and I agree it’s nice that it doesn’t seem to trap condensation and hasn’t gotten brittle yet like the old heavier plastic type ones. I think the issue with the SmokeFire one is the flat areas that don’t shed water so it sits there and seeps through. On my Genesis there are no real flat spots so all water sheds off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back