Smoked Salt

gimmebbq

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smokefire EX6
Hello, Has anyone tried smoking salt on the smoke fire? I was going to buy some but seems quite expensive for what it is, I'm just not sure how to go about it. Temperature? Time? Vessel?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Maybe just use a cookie sheet and rock salt? Or kosher salt? I’m wondering g about the pellet ash…

I do a lot of Cold Smoking (using wood dust) I've done Maldon Sea Salt flakes via this method on a baking sheet with foil over it. I prefer using wood dust to pellets, due to less dust and they last longer in the burn.

I have a different sort of maze that is popular in the UK, but an American equivalent would be something like this

You need one of those kitchen blow torches to light one end, so you can see a few orange embers in amongst the burnt black dust to start it off, area about the size of a postage stamp and then it burns itself around the maze slowly, my maze can take 6-10 hours to burn through, depending how tightly I pack it with wood dust.

When I do salt I aim for 16-24 hours so do it over 2-3 nights a maze full every night. Nights are best because it is cooler as daytime heat can spoil some foods, you don't really want to cold smoke above 80F. if the night time temp is above 12C I tend not to bother cold smoking.

You can use the maze to cold smoke, cheese butter, salt, raw shelled nuts (that haven't already been roasted or salted) and use your own smoked salt on them. Also home cured salmon and UK style bacon amongst other things as well.

I've bought a cold smoking cabinet now, but have used the Smokefire previously as a vessel to cold smoke in.

Obviously Hot smoking is an option, but cold smoking is the way I do everything

Latest Discussions

Back