Pork back ribs vs baby back/st louis ribs?

SupportKing

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hello all!

I found a great deal on pork back ribs but I have not cooked these before. I have only cooked the St. Louis or baby back ribs.

the bones are not as long. What way do you cook these? I don’t want them to dry out since the bones are shorter and meat is slightly less.

Thanks!!

Pork back ribs are baby back ribs. Same. They are leaner than spares and have more curved bones as they are from the top of the rib cage. The meat medallion on the top portion of the rack is loin meat as they bump right up against the tenderloin of the pig. Being leaner they will naturally be a bit drier than spares. They lend them selves to a hotter and faster cook temp than spares imo because there is far less fat that needs to be rendered at low temps. I go 275 all day and cook to 205 IT.

Good luck and enjoy.

Pork back ribs are baby back ribs. Same. They are leaner than spares and have more curved bones as they are from the top of the rib cage. The meat medallion on the top portion of the rack is loin meat as they bump right up against the tenderloin of the pig. Being leaner they will naturally be a bit drier than spares. They lend them selves to a hotter and faster cook temp than spares imo because there is far less fat that needs to be rendered at low temps. I go 275 all day and cook to 205 IT.

Good luck and enjoy.
Oops, I meant to say I did not mean to say I cooked baby back ribs. Roughly how long does it cook at 275? I would like to wrap and/or mop. Do you have any recommendations on them?

3 hours would be my target. 2:15 bare. 45 in foil. Remove check temp and 15 min to rack up sauce or dry them if doing dry ribs. 205-208 for baby backs imo.

3 hours would be my target. 2:15 bare. 45 in foil. Remove check temp and 15 min to rack up sauce or dry them if doing dry ribs. 205-208 for baby backs imo.
This forum is amazing bc of you and the other top posters

Not that this means anything, but in my experience, I’ve always enjoyed the spare ribs more than the loin/baby backs. I’m not a sauce guy. Although I do use some on the side just in case. Good luck and grill on.

I used to do baby backs all the time. As my journey evolved I choose spares 90% of the time as BBQ king mentioned. That said it is personal preference. I like the fattier ribs but others will prefer leaner.

The traditional wrap preparation is either simple apple juice or the most popular brown sugar, squeeze butter, rub, and honey. I simply use to layers of foil and scatter a handful of brown sugar, a good squeeze of honey and parkay squeeze butter and some rub down on the foil. Then place the ribs meat down and wrap tightly. Return to grill meat side down. I also
Alway utilize the top rack when possible.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back