Pellet Preference

jbrad889

Reaction score
Anyone here have a favorite pellet brand they use that is not Weber? Something, in their opinion that has better flavor or lower ash output?

I have used B&B pellets in the past and been real happy with the results. The Apple pellets are my go to for desserts.

I like Pit boss Comps and their fruitwood and I like Traeger Pecan. Pitt boss gets a bad wrap since they are sold at Walmart and Lowes but if you actually research them they are do not use anything but hardwood and they do not use alder or oak as filler and no oils, etc.

I like Pit boss Comps and their fruitwood and I like Traeger Pecan. Pitt boss gets a bad wrap since they are sold at Walmart and Lowes but if you actually research them they are do not use anything but hardwood and they do not use alder or oak as filler and no oils, etc.

I was told via email by pit boss that their mesquite pellets were 60/40 oak or alder/mesquite blend.

Mine did that today and I have a few cooks on it. Powered down, turned it off, unplugged it and waited 30 secs or so then started over. Worked fine the second time. Kinda of a hard reset.....

I was told via email by pit boss that their mesquite pellets were 60/40 oak or alder/mesquite blend.
I have never used that blend. I am from Texas and Mesquite is super strong but we use it a lot. I wonder if they blended that one to take away some of the power of the Mesquite away for the mass users? Surely 100% Mesquite would be pretty potent I would think in pellet form?

I'll let you know about the blend soon... I just finished a 15-hour cook on a brisket using the Pit Boss mesquite blend pellets. Grew up in South Texas myself. Mesquite is king. I agree that just mesquite would be too strong though. Took about 10 hours to get the bark where I wanted. Wrapped it in butcher paper for the rest of the cook. This was not done on a SmokeFire.

So I’m new to pellet grills... Gonna try and find some of the recommended pellets from people on here. Today I cooked some chicken with some Lumberjack Pecan pellets and it was good. I have the Weber competition blend and also Lumberjack competition blend. Guy I work with recommended CookinPellets.... so I may order those next just to check them out.

I'll let you know about the blend soon... I just finished a 15-hour cook on a brisket using the Pit Boss mesquite blend pellets. Grew up in South Texas myself. Mesquite is king. I agree that just mesquite would be too strong though. Took about 10 hours to get the bark where I wanted. Wrapped it in butcher paper for the rest of the cook. This was not done on a SmokeFire.
YUMMY!!!! Please let us know how it turned out! Where at in South Texas? I was born in El Paso, Raised in San Antonio and lived a few years in "The Valley" Harlingen to be exact.

YUMMY!!!! Please let us know how it turned out! Where at in South Texas? I was born in El Paso, Raised in San Antonio and lived a few years in "The Valley" Harlingen to be exact.

So brisket turned pretty good using the pit boss mesquite blend pellets. Nice bark and smoke ring. I think I left it on a little too long, though, so it was a little dry.

All in all, happy with the pellets, especially considering the cost. Prior to this I was using more expensive traeger mesquite pellets that never produced enough smoke.

GriLLMaRksRseXy... I grew up near Corpus Christi. Lived in San Antonio for 10 years after service in the Air Force. Been in Austin since 2011. Been trying to leave Austin for the last few years, but still stuck in traffic.

Attach2332_20200222_174554.jpgAttach2335_20200222_174554.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back