Huge temp swings

Frawil

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Problem started trying to do a pizza at 425°. All of a sudden got message that temp drop was detected. Nothing wrong, pellets were in auger and hopper, no bridging. I finished in oven and next day cleaned everything out. Even took out pellets and blew out dust. Tested at 425. Temp dropped to 325 and then went up to 525, then drop again. Weber sent me new controller, still doing same. What’s going on? Customer support is a big zero. This started July 3rd. Still don’t have operable grill
IMG_4349.png

I wonder if your built in ambient probe is bad or dirty. Have you verified these temp swings with another probe? I might also go back to Weber, LJ or Cabela pellets and see what happens.

Cleaned probe with steel wool and checked with Weber iGrill prob. I am my wits end, and I guess Weber customer service is too!

I used Costco pellets once and got bridging. Felt like they were too long. Went back to Traeger because I can find them local.

I used Traeger pellets for a year and never a problem. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try Weber pellets. I have to order. No one around here sells them.

I do try Costco pellets once and had a bridging problem. Felt like the Costco pellets were too long.

Because I buy the pellets and I got new a year ago and it had no finger guard. I had a Traeger for 20 years. Not a newby to pellet cooking.

Unless you physically removed it, the finger guard will be installed.
Having a Traeger for 20 years does not mean you are newby to pellet cooking but the SF is totally different to a Traeger so you have to forget everything you know.

Unless you physically removed it, the finger guard will be installed.
Having a Traeger for 20 years does not mean you are newby to pellet cooking but the SF is totally different to a Traeger so you have to forget everything you know.
Well your credibility just went out the window. Grill was purchased from Ace Hardware. They assembled, no pellet guard. What pellet grills have you owned in the past?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back