Hello from Pa - SmokeFire Issues

Rbakerjr

Reaction score
Grill
Smoke fire EX6
Hello all. Bob from Pa. Just a backyard smoker. I’ve built my own smoker, used pre-manufactured smokers and grills.
I’ve owned a Weber spirit grill for 25+years. Now own a Smokey Joe kettle and a EX6.

Already having issues with the smoke fire😢🤔
Anyhow. Happy grilling and smoking!

The last 3 smoke sessions it lost temperature. I had to clean a mound of pellets from the firepit. I changed the glow plug and went on my way. This last session I smoked pork, I caught it when it dropped and was somehow able to save. Then when the pork was off I ‘cranked’ it to 450 degrees to cook off the grates, put it shutdown mode and went about my evening. Only to come out and find my ash pan has blister paint and the aluminum pan (both) were melted.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.webp
    IMG_0913.webp
    261.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0910.webp
    IMG_0910.webp
    326.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0912.webp
    IMG_0912.webp
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
With the lost temp sounds like maybe having a void in your pellets that then breaks free and dumps bunch of pellets smothering the fire. Do you have the finger guard still in place? If not I’d recommend removing it at your own risk (don’t stick your fingers in the auger). If you do remove it remove one screw at a time because those screws also hold the auger chute in place.

The melted pan sounds like you had a grease file. When doing longer fatty cooks have to be careful cranking them up if lot of grease as high temp can ignite it.

With the lost temp sounds like maybe having a void in your pellets that then breaks free and dumps bunch of pellets smothering the fire. Do you have the finger guard still in place? If not I’d recommend removing it at your own risk (don’t stick your fingers in the auger). If you do remove it remove one screw at a time because those screws also hold the auger chute in place.

The melted pan sounds like you had a grease file. When doing longer fatty cooks have to be careful cranking them up if lot of grease as high temp can ignite it.
Thanks for the info on the finger guards. I may try that.
As for a grease fire, that should not have been the case. I had a water bath under my food (also collected any drippings) .
Weber made good. New auger,( looks the same as the old one), a new grease pan and ash pan assembly.
As per the manufacture date they tell me my smoke fire is 4 years old. 🤣
I just bought it 2 weeks ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back