Glow Plug Life

Wow I’m sorry about that. Their warranty and the way they take care of people over here is pretty good. However with this particular grill when people have issues they throw a lot of parts at it. Does DHL deliver to you?

We do have DHL. Imp pretty sure that's who Weber use here.
I can handle parts being thrown at me (can never have too many spares right?) and if there was an issue I would be happy to roll with it until its resolved.
I think I have been one of the lucky ones and the only issues I have had were self inflicted.
Its just that from what I have seen, the laid back Aussie attitude seems to have spilled over to Weber CS here also.

That is wierd. When they sent me the pellet ramp I got one, when they sent me those glass cups I got one. When they sent me the welded auger they sent 3 with the whole glow plug assembly.
If only it was that easy here.
I could be wrong but I think there is an agent here that acts on behalf of Weber?

That is wierd. When they sent me the pellet ramp I got one, when they sent me those glass cups I got one. When they sent me the welded auger they sent 3 with the whole glow plug assembly.
No wonder Australia can’t get any glow plugs.

I contacted Weber about the message that the "glow plug needed to be replaced", they told me if your grill is functioning and you can see the glow plug turning orange when grill is started, then simply dismiss the notification and continue grilling. Go to the Menu screen >Glow Plug Replacement > Confirm Replacement - to clear the prompt. They are also sending me a spare glow plug. They also said that the glow plugs are intended to last for 100 cooks. The flame out I experienced might have been due to high winds. I also cleaned out my smokefire just to be safe, It worked fine last night

I contacted Weber about the message that the "glow plug needed to be replaced", they told me if your grill is functioning and you can see the glow plug turning orange when grill is started, then simply dismiss the notification and continue grilling. Go to the Menu screen >Glow Plug Replacement > Confirm Replacement - to clear the prompt. They are also sending me a spare glow plug. They also said that the glow plugs are intended to last for 100 cooks. The flame out I experienced might have been due to high winds. I also cleaned out my smokefire just to be safe, It worked fine last night
I would guess the glow plug could last hundreds if not a thousand cooks. I would guess that nearly all glow plug issues are a result of the plug not being properly seated resulting in a poor connection. Happy grilling!

My assumption is that they have a counter that shows the message after 100 cycles (or whatever number). Kinda like printers that say x needs to be replaced because it is y old. If it doesn't get hot, time to replace.

no hardware required to count. also basing it on reports that the plugs continue to work after the alert. even multiple times after the report.

The glow plug alert has been a known bug from the start. Counting requires a software loop. Current flow can be detected in an already monitored current stream.

I have been thinking about getting a spare for a while and contacted Weber Australia over the weekend to ask about this since they are not available on their website.

I got a reply today advising that they are not selling them and will only send a replacement when the one in use fails.
They also advised that the replacements will be free of charge and they will do this for the life of the SmokeFire even though the part only has a 3 year warranty.

That is good news but I still would have liked to have a spare

Weber US hand stuff out like nobody's business. Sadly that is not the case here.
Weber US got back to me after I contacted them and said that they cant help because I'm outside the US and to contact Weber AU.
Looks like I'm waiting for a failure before I get my hands on another.
That or wait a few weeks and it might "fail" suddenly.

Weber US hand stuff out like nobody's business. Sadly that is not the case here.
Weber US got back to me after I contacted them and said that they cant help because I'm outside the US and to contact Weber AU.
Looks like I'm waiting for a failure before I get my hands on another.
That or wait a few weeks and it might "fail" suddenly.
That makes no sense to me, they should send everyone 3 glow plugs or at least ship the SmokeFire with extras

That makes no sense to me, they should send everyone 3 glow plugs or at least ship the SmokeFire with extras
New to the forum. First post.

Purchased my EX4 Saturday. unit was assembled and I was provided two extra glow plugs.
Jim

I’m still on my original that‘s lasted 15 months. Just started getting warning that needs to be replaced, but I‘m waiting until doesn’t light.

Back