EX4 Left and Right Side Temp Difference

Thanks for the input Sherlock! No brainer putting larger piece on the hotter side. My point is, small smoking area shouldn’t have that much of a difference in temps! Also with Weber your expecting a prime product!
Ok, don’t enjoy then. I’ve done every kind of cook possible practically without any problem at all. Maybe it’s the cook and not the cooker Sherlock. I hope a friggin pork butt will survive the difference. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was just trying to help by pointing out its not really an issue and you can easily have 💯 success. Maybe I’ve overestimated the situation. My apologies.

Suffer forth.

JpsBBQ is right. I noticed temp differences on my Spirit E-330 and over time I learned where the 'hot' spots were and planned accordingly. Same for my Weber Kettle (heck, even our kitchen ovens have temp disparaties). I'm new to the EX4 (less than a month) so I'm in 'learn mode' on it. Actually if there are some temp differences on the grilling surface I'm glad to know them and will use accordingly. For low and slow burns such as a brisket or a butt I might use the upper grate where I think the temp would even out. For burgers and some corn, I'll put the burgers on the right side and corn on the left (if that's what experience leads to). For me - experimenting is the fun part. Some times it works sometimes not - but we learn each time.

Last edited:
I

I’m currently smoking 2 pork shoulders, and having the exact same issue. I really do believe it’s the fan that’s causing different temps. I’d love to see anyones mods to help level the temps!
Just out of curiosity, have you spoken to Weber about your concerns and what advise did they offer?

Put some thermometers on the grill to monitor chamber temp difference. Results not good. Difference between left and right side was anywhere from 20 to 40 degrees with the pit set at 225. I used my own temp probes from a different device but also the Weber probes. I've attached some screen shots with initial startup temp and then the differences.

Weber claims they've been working on a solution for a couple of days, as they've received other complaints about the same issue. I'm supposed to get a call when they've come up with something. Between the utter crap of an android app and now this, I'm becoming less and less impressed.

Think I'm going to find some sheet metal to cut and place between the flavorizer bars to see if I can even out the heat myself. I really wanted to cook a brisket this weekend.

View attachment 108View attachment 107View attachment 106View attachment 104View attachment 105
I have not done an extensive test like yours yet. I have the EX4.
Thanks for sharing!!
I do know there is a good difference between left and right. I put in the Weber drip pans and does help a little.
Wonder if Weber will automatically send us all a fix or do we need to complain??? 🤔

I have not done an extensive test like yours yet. I have the EX4.
Thanks for sharing!!
I do know there is a good difference between left and right. I put in the Weber drip pans and does help a little.
Wonder if Weber will automatically send us all a fix or do we need to complain??? 🤔
I doubt there is anything that can be done to fix it apart from go back to the drawing board.
The best we can do is cook on the grill we have, not the one we want.
Moving the heat deflector to the right can help but nothing will make it even all the way across.

Gentlemen, I had the same problem about temps. I put an ambient temp probe on the bottom rack of me SF X4 during smoke boost. The actual temp was 50F to 100F to hot. Then during the BB rib cook the grate temp was 50F above the setting of 250F. Ribs got a little over cooked. I call Weber SF help desk for help. The gentleman I spoke with was on the design team for the SF. He told me politely not to use the ambient temp prob. As long as the SF thermocouple (at the back of the bottom grate) temp and the set temp are the same there’s no problem (has to do with Algorithms). I just smoked a 16 lb packer brisket and had no problems. I will use an ambient temp probe on my Weber Gen II gas grill because I don’t trust the lid temp gage.

Happy Holidays…

Latest Discussions

Back