Chicken breast

Good info here thanks everyone. I have the same experience, great flavor and nice looking chicken and turkey, but you could patch a hole in the roof with the skin. I'll keep at it, and see how it turns out. I'll suggest a good pounding to my wife and report back šŸ˜‹šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ˆ

I was thinking along the same lines but trying a slow cook @ 225 over a water pan on the SF until 120, spritzing along the way, and then using the Summit at 600+ (in this colder weather) to get some decent lines. Good to know I am perhaps on the right track. Thanks!
That is exactly how I cook my chicken breasts... smoke @ 200-225F on my ex4 on the upper grate with a water pan below and then quick finish on my summit s-670.

I do not brine, however, as I prefer to place them on the ex4 skin-on to help retain moisture and spritz with a watered-down sauce of my liking. Then on the summit with either skin left on to crisp it or skin removed.

I wont cook a chicken or a turkey below 350 degrees no matter what. I love smoke flavor as much as the next person, but low and slow for poultry is like eating damn volcanized rubber.

That is exactly how I cook my chicken breasts... smoke @ 200-225F on my ex4 on the upper grate with a water pan below and then quick finish on my summit s-670.

I do not brine, however, as I prefer to place them on the ex4 skin-on to help retain moisture and spritz with a watered-down sauce of my liking. Then on the summit with either skin left on to crisp it or skin removed.

This is why I love this forum: A bunch of good information, a little validation, great feedback / suggestions, and a lot of encouragement from many sources. Being conditioned to buy boneless skinless chicken as it is the more "convenient or healthy" option, I don't think I would have thought to just buy it skin on as a part, and remove the skin part way through the process. Serious tunnel vision on my part.

I'm still compelled to try a couple of different techniques to see if I can smoke a boneless skinless breast with good smoke flavor without the exterior resembling a hockey puck but it is good to know there is a simple alternative that only requires me to change my purchasing habits. Cheers all!

I wont cook a chicken or a turkey below 350 degrees no matter what. I love smoke flavor as much as the next person, but low and slow for poultry is like eating damn volcanized rubber.
Different strokes for different smokes. I respect your preference as it really comes down to what you like.

For me, smoking a skin-on breast for 30-45 minutes or so to impart the smoke flavor while basting/spritzing, and then crisp and finish with or without skin, on a gas grill has always worked for me. Not unlike pre-baking in an oven and then grill finishing for large crowds at our family parties and reunions (2020 being the exception)

Good info here thanks everyone. I have the same experience, great flavor and nice looking chicken and turkey, but you could patch a hole in the roof with the skin. I'll keep at it, and see how it turns out. I'll suggest a good pounding to my wife and report back šŸ˜‹šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ˆ
Um...??

Boneless skinless chicken breasts have a kind of silver skin on them which makes them inherently tough or chewy. I haven't personally tried this, but a jacquard might break down the membrane enough to make a difference. Just a flier.

Last edited:
Iā€™ll second brine and then I cook mine slow until theyā€™re short of temp and then sear if we want colour but we actually prefer smoked to grilled

Iā€™ll echo other people about brining and not low and slow.

I do a DRY brine for at least one hour in the fridge and up to 24h. I did that 2 years ago on a oven roasted turkey and never went back to wet brine. Works on chicken in SF too.

You can do low for a short time, if you want a lot of smoke flavor. Iā€™ve used smokeboost only once on chicken, for 15 minutes on drumsticks, and it worked quite well.

Otherwise, I do 350F until meat is at 135-145F, and the ramp to 450F until cooked.

Skinless and fat-trimmed pieces donā€™t need a tray under, so I prefer not to use one.
With skin and fat on I do use a dry tray as I am not into reducing stuff into sauce, but I am into cutting potato slices and having steaming hot fat falls on them. Picked that from a food truck in the Bay Area.

I used to do add water in my tray in the kettle, but I feel thereā€™s just way more air flow in the SF, so I started spritzing water, beer, or juice, during low and slow for red meat, or fish. I havenā€™t tried with chicken but that could work. Maybe next time I do a whole or parched chicken.

Just for the experience, I followed the program in the Weber Connect app- 500 degrees, 8-12 mins, flip once. Killer Hogs AP and The BBQ Rub, Sweet Baby Rays sauce. I'm not one for hyperbole, but this was some darn fine chicken.
chx.jpg

When I do boneless skinless chicken breasts on the smoke fire I typically set it for 250 to 300. I think the most important thing is not to overcook it. I use one of my MEATER probes and set that to 170 Degrees. white meat chicken cooked over 180 is terrible :)

any chicken marinade on google will do but it comes out perfect every time using the MEATER probe. I find the ones that come with the smoke fire are better for longer cooks and not as sensitive as these probes

I gotta say the chicken breasts in this thread look delicious. My only issue is it would be defeating my purpose for eating chicken breast in the first place once I slathered some delicious sauce on them. šŸ˜

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest Discussions

Back