Weber Slate - Oiling griddle

Dant4186

Reaction score
Grill
30 inch slate griddle
I have a 30" griddle (slate) I understand that seasoning isn't required as often. My question is should you oil prior to cooking just a light coating.
Thanks

I would still season it. Even though is pre-seasoned I found helped with food not sticking. Though just cooking on it has continued to improve the surface. When I first used mine started getting whiteish areas above the burners which from what I’ve read indicates it’s dry and needs oil. Also it depends on what I’m cooking if add oil. I usually put a very thin layer of oil after wiped down post cook too.

By adding thin layer of oil after wiping down/cleaning I haven’t since originally seasoning when purchased.

Sean it, then cook a bunch of onions and throw them away.

Something about the onions creates a nice layer of seasoning.

Like Abmet said your going to lightly oil that after every cook.

By adding thin layer of oil after wiping down/cleaning I haven’t since originally seasoning when purchased.
Should I let it cool down some before applying a thin layer of oil

I try to clean some as I cook, then when done turn off heat and scrape food and grease. If really dirty might use some water in squirt bottle to steam clean areas. Don’t put water on whole griddle at once to avoid chance of warping. I then wipe clean and apply thin layer of oil while still warm, but it’s cooled off some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back