Weber Mesquite Pellets?

Tyler6590

Reaction score
Grill
SmokeFire EX4
Hey all, just about out of my pellets since buying my EX4. I have tried Hickory, Apple, and Grillmaster. The local store only has Mesquite and Apple currently. I am thinking of doing a low and slow Brisket. Is Weber Mesquite too strong for a long smoke? In the past, on my WSM I have only used Mesquite chunks on shorter cooks. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hey all, just about out of my pellets since buying my EX4. I have tried Hickory, Apple, and Grillmaster. The local store only has Mesquite and Apple currently. I am thinking of doing a low and slow Brisket. Is Weber Mesquite too strong for a long smoke? In the past, on my WSM I have only used Mesquite chunks on shorter cooks. Any thoughts are appreciated.
It really all depends on your taste. I've not yet tried the mesquite pellets (they don't seem to be available anywhere locally), but I've used it a lot on my WSM in the past. It certainly adds a very punchy smoke flavor; a bit more bite than hickory in my opinion. But, in many places here in Texas, mesquite is synonymous with BBQ. For your first cook with it, I might recommend mixing it with one of the other woods to mellow it out a bit and see how you like it. It would stink to do a whole brisket only to determine that it ain't yo thang.

Yeah, I like mesquite on a tritip buuuut over a 16hr smoke it may be too much punch. Hmmm

Yeah, I like mesquite on a tritip buuuut over a 16hr smoke it may be too much punch. Hmmm
Don't forget that if you wrap your brisket, all the time cooking during the wrap it will not be taking on much smoke. Next to none if you use foil. At that point, the SF is just putting off BTU's and the wood type is largely irrelevant. Smoke flavor is such a personal thing that you can really only try for yourself and see what you think.

I like Mesquite for shorter cooks but unfortunately Weber decided against releasing that and Cherry here in Australia :-(

I’d do the apple in lieu of mesquite

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There's also some kingsford pellets at the grocery store... never tried them but I hear the WSF runs them well. Not sure about they're flavor and ash level.

I like Mesquite for shorter cooks but unfortunately Weber decided against releasing that and Cherry here in Australia :-(
I have some Cherry pellets on order from Weber. Hoping the have a good amount of flavor in pellet form. Used to use it a bunch on the WSM.

I’ve stuck with the Weber pellets since I changed out my auger so I have no recs on the other brands really. I will say I have always mixed hickory or pecan with my cherry pellets for ribs. I like oak or hickory for beef plate ribs or brisket. I do love the cherry smoke. Apple is always a decent choice for anything BBQ though. Enjoy!

Oak is my go to for beef. Brings out the flavors of Texas bbq for me.

I’ve stuck with the Weber pellets since I changed out my auger so I have no recs on the other brands really. I will say I have always mixed hickory or pecan with my cherry pellets for ribs. I like oak or hickory for beef plate ribs or brisket. I do love the cherry smoke. Apple is always a decent choice for anything BBQ though. Enjoy!
B&B, Kingsford, Pit Boss all work great in the Webers. Bear Mountain makes the auger groan and squeak

Not at all. I use a combination of 75% Mesquite to 25% Hickory on my full packer briskets all the time, as a 16-20# chunk cam easily handle the stronger smoke flavor.

However, if you prefer a milder smoke flavor, mix you Mesquite with the Apple, or even the Master blend. You could easily do a 50-50 mix.

Latest Discussions

Back