SmokeFire thermometer and probe accuracy

AHoneyman

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smoke Fire EX6, Weber Genesis E-310, Vision Series B
Guys, I am just wondering how close your SF thermometer and probes are to other temperature measuring devices. I am not complaining, just wondering where everyone is. At times, I think I have a probe that is a little off based upon the degree of cook on steaks. I just got an external unit to check. Still learning how to run the SF.

Guys, I am just wondering how close your SF thermometer and probes are to other temperature measuring devices. I am not complaining, just wondering where everyone is. At times, I think I have a probe that is a little off based upon the degree of cook on steaks. I just got an external unit to check. Still learning how to run the SF.
I purchased another grill temp probe from a local store that had one on sale and installed in Probe 4 slot to keep an eye on the actual grill temperature. It compares favorably with the supplied ambient temp probe except when heating up and cooling down. Plus it can easily be repositioned to monitor the upper grill temperature.

I also have a Maverick set, and use those probes to augment the other i-probes for monitoring large cuts and multiples of meat. Overall the are close enough for smoking and other routine cooks.

However, I also have an instant read infrared heat gun as well as a Thermapen mk4 and 2 Javelin Pro pens for critical temperatures like steaks, etc. Especially when smoking larger cuts like pork butts and whole briskets, most depend on touch, feel and probing for doneness.

My probes in meat have been fairly close to what my Thermapen shows so they are accurate enough for me to monitor especially longer cooks. For shorter cooks I generally just use my Thermapen. I‘ve run other probes to monitor ambient temps and my experience is similar to what Dassman5 said. I think they have some logic that “stabilizes” the reported temp of the built in ambient probe so it’s not showing some of the fluctuations but when stable was always pretty close to the other ambient probe I was using (though can’t say it’s as accurate as a Maverick). I don’t use it anymore just early on to get an idea of how the SmokeFire built in probe was compared to it.

Yeah, I have. A two degree difference between two probes I have for the SF. I ALWAYS use a Thermapen for any crucial or precise temperature measurements. The probes are to get you close. Even poultry and such, you should always confirm in multiple locations with a high quality thermocouple.

I use the thermoworks smoke just to keep an eye on things, the probes are close but their is a difference. My EX6 never matches the smokes ambient temptprobe. +-20 degrees easy.

Aa for a thermapen, how the hell did I cook without one?
I remember the days when every chef and cook, in their white uniforms and cooks hat proudly had a meat thermometer in the holder in their uniform...kind of like a pocket protector used by us “geeks”.

Here is what my SmokeFire and iGrill 2 are showing in a beef roast. The igrill is at 100 (kinda hard to see)

Attachments

• IMG_2495[1].JPG
    IMG_2495[1].JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 174

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back