Planning a Brisket cook…..

Mark.B

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smokefire EX4 (gen 1),Weber Summit Silver (2004),Weber Performer Kettle,WSM, Jumbo Joe Go -Anywhere Charcoal
I’m planning on a brisket cook soon on the Smokefire. I’ve done other meats with varied success, but the family seems to like whatever come off of it. I’m from the WSM and kettle crew, so I was used to heavier smoke flavor, which I still crave and enjoy.

For this cook I plan to use 1836 for the rub, and possibly prime brisket depending on prices. Our Fareway has a pretty good price on choice brisket so may go that way too. Costco‘s prices have gone way up, so we’ll see.

I’ll be using smoke boost for 2 hrs. The first time I used it (rib cook), it almost died on me, even with everything up to date. Took a temp dive but I caught it in time to set it to a higher temp manually. I‘m then going to cook another two or so hours in the smoker at 275. After 4 hours I’ll wrap in foil and finish it in the oven @ 300 Degrees. I’m loosely following Cooks Illustrated brisket method and saving some fuel.

That brings me to fuel. I just bought some 100% lumberjack hickory, but am wavering on buying some BbqRs delight Master your Meat pellets. I have only used Weber hickory and comp, but want to try something else to see if it gives it even more of a smokey taste. Any thoughts or suggestion on all of the above?

Pit boss has a charcoal “flavor” pellet. I have not done this, but you might could use a smoker box with wood chips down buy the burn pot? Or chunks maybe?

Pit boss has a charcoal “flavor” pellet. I have not done this, but you might could use a smoker box with wood chips down buy the burn pot? Or chunks maybe?
Yes, I do have a smoke tube for chips. I’ve also wondered if anyone has set a wood chunk on the heat deflector over the pot With any success.

Attachments

• 772A6F4A-F8F9-4E2B-A03C-FC9C44B1DDD2.jpeg
    772A6F4A-F8F9-4E2B-A03C-FC9C44B1DDD2.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 19
On all of my long cooks, I've wrapped and finished in the oven. I find that it works well, and saves money and hassle.

Except when you pull the meat without the catch pan under it, and the paper tears and dumps the liquid all over the over door, kitchen floor, and in the oven. That was a hassle.

Hah, yeah gonna try to avoid that mess! :D

Anytime you can wrap in a foil pan and capture the juices and rendering it’s a plus. I run mine through a fat separator and reincorporate the juices to the sliced or pulled product. Game changer.

Anytime you can wrap in a foil pan and capture the juices and rendering it’s a plus. I run mine through a fat separator and reincorporate the juices to the sliced or pulled product. Game changer.
Saw a post on another forum where a guy pulled pork in a colander to drain more “fat” and juices from the pork. 😳😳😳😳
Why in gods green earth would this person even be interested in bbq? Should be a vegetarian

Latest Discussions

Back