EX4 right side

ponsholm

Reaction score
Grill
Weber Smokefire EX4
Like most Smokefire EX4 gen 2 owners, mine is hotter on the right side of the grill.

Any (non mechanical) mods that can alleviate this? For smoking, I usually put things on the right side when I have a square foot size of meats, however, if I need to cook for a larger crowd I can’t really control it that much.

Water pan on the right side of the flavorizer bars maybe?

I'm not sure how well it works as I have never tried it, but I have seen people move the heat deflector across to the right.

I'm not sure how well it works as I have never tried it, but I have seen people move the heat deflector across to the right.
I kinda like the hot side / cold side. It is not a big deal for me on low temp cooks. I have slid the deflector slightly to the right a while back as an experiment. It seemed to tame the amount of flame coming out that side a bit but it’s likely the fan/airflow that routes the heat that direction. The best solution might be the Weber wet kit with liquid to create a heat sink.

I don't have problem with it either and use it to my advantage all the time.
I can see situations where it may be an issue though so it understandable that people may want to reduce it.

I don't have problem with it either and use it to my advantage all the time.
I can see situations where it may be an issue though so it understandable that people may want to reduce it.
Agreed. I think the wet kit would definitely do that. Or two. 😁

I did a 4 hour jerky smoke the other day. Yes, right side is hotter. 😜
D76DA73D-6397-444B-BE96-C936D8C172C4.jpeg

I did a 4 hour jerky smoke the other day. Yes, right side is hotter. 😜View attachment 5576
Looks like it should be more like a 3.5 hour cook on the right and a 4 on the left. Another perfect example of “cook to temp and not time”. 🤣

The uneven heating zones on the Smokefire used to bother me a bit.

When thoroughly researching which pellet grill to buy, it’s hard not to come across the highly rated and recommended $2500 Fast Eddy Cookshack PG500 which is designed with 4 different cooking zones.

I started to liken the heating zones in the Smokefire to the PG500 and started to work my cooks with those heating zones in mind to get the results that I want.

When thoroughly researching which pellet grill to buy, it’s hard not to come across the highly rated and recommended $2500 Fast Eddy Cookshack PG500 which is designed with 4 different cooking zones.

I started to liken the heating zones in the Smokefire to the PG500 and started to work my cooks with those heating zones in mind to get the results that I want.
Yep, I get that there are times when you'd prefer the entire chamber be the same but, if you embrace the variances and most importantly they are predictable, you can use them to your advantage. Just need to know and have a bit o imagination.

Great post!

I almost bought that fast eddy model because of its all-stainless construction and I liked the searing function. It's also ugly enough to stay hidden in a commercial kitchen, which is something I really love about it. Kinda looks like something you'd buy bags of ice out of. Then I came to my senses and bought a Smokefire.

I almost bought that fast eddy model because of its all-stainless construction and I liked the searing function. It's also ugly enough to stay hidden in a commercial kitchen, which is something I really love about it. Kinda looks like something you'd buy bags of ice out of. Then I came to my senses and bought a Smokefire.
Ah damn, lookin at that PG500 again it's just so freaking weird-pretty I just can't help wanting to put my meat in it. Dammit. Smokefire is soooo much prettier and suits my style, but wtf I just want some weird sometimes.

To comment on OP's question, I've thought about modding the flame deflector by trimmimg away some material on the left side to open the gap a bit and let more flame out on that side. I would trim away a small amount, like 1/8" at a time and test until it seems balanced. Could also cut two vertical slots toward the front and rear of that side wall allowing you to bend up the material in between.

Good grief, why?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back