🔥 What's cooking on your SmokeFire/Searwood? 🥩

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's everyone have planned to cook this weekend on the SmokeFire?

weber-pellet-grill-whats-cooking.jpg

Last edited:
10lb pork shoulder, low and slow. I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, love that stuff, but I know it's not for everyone. The plan is to use a combo of cookinpellets.com perfect mix and weber grillmaster. Set it to 225, put a pan under the grate, and let her rip. I'll put a couple probes in to see how the pan affects the temps.

Just assembled and fired up yesterday. Was on the fence with a huge box in my living room as to return or not after the issues people were having but went forward. Went together well, took my time and ensured everything was lined up properly, updated and powered up. Burn in went as desired. Up to temp in about 25 minutes and in northern Canada I was worried after some people had an hour of more to reach 600. No issue with mine, a little cold didn't slow it down. Lowered the temp to 260 for some ribs, it dropped low down to 180 for a period and I was getting concerned but it was still smoking and the fan was running so I left it, picked up and met desired setpoint and held flawlessly for 6 hours dialing it in increments up and down to test and worked perfect. As far as the hopper issues, I checked it occasionally and messed with them so uncertain if they would have gopher holed or not. Hopper issues seem minor to me and a easy fix at some point from weber or the hopper just needed some bags run through to slick it up. Finished ribs and cranked to 600 to finish and ramped up quickly. Finished up and hit shutdown mode. Ate and when I went out it was shut down. It performed exactly as I was hoping. Going to clean really well now after cook and initial burn and try some brisket and pork butts this weekend, monitoring the grease situation. Very happy thus far.

10lb pork shoulder, low and slow. I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, love that stuff, but I know it's not for everyone. The plan is to use a combo of cookinpellets.com perfect mix and weber grillmaster. Set it to 225, put a pan under the grate, and let her rip. I'll put a couple probes in to see how the pan affects the temps.
Are you paning on the flavorizer bars or under?

Nice. Hope it works out. I might do something similar this weekend. My pans should be here tomorrow.

Are you paning on the flavorizer bars or under?
I'm going to start with over. Although I'm debating going out to pick up another butt for the other side of the grill and putting the pan on the bottom for that one. Although maybe that's not a good test doing both methods at once...

I’ll be cooking some ribs on Sunday, but still trying to figure out Saturday, maybe some chicken and/or burgers nothing too crazy

Any updates on your weekend cooks? 5 hours in on the brisket at 260 here.

I pumped it up a bit (did last one at 250) as I did have a false start that cost me some time this morning so wanted to jumpstart it a bit.

Issue (which im sure was user error as I havnt heard of it yet) was the pot got overwhelmed with pellets and smothered itself out. It was just into the cook so didnt cause a massive issue. Pulled the pellets..restart..all good.

So two things. I used a water pan this time and i spilled a bit so maybe some got on the pellets and made it tough to keep up, and I didnt remove any pellets from the pot after previous cooks (I dont thibk they tell ya to)

At any rate I will likely add that step to my cooking cleanup. Takes 5 seconds when I'm in there anyhow.

I'm going to start with over. Although I'm debating going out to pick up another butt for the other side of the grill and putting the pan on the bottom for that one. Although maybe that's not a good test doing both methods at once...
Doing both would really tell how the bark and smoke affects them. I do think the direct heat and smoke with pan below is going to help the bark and smoke ring for competition.
I'm fairly sure I will be letting my delivery arrive next week and look forward to trying both ways. I cant let you guys have all the fun.

Latest Discussions

Back